+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for my Canadian citizenship after I potentially move to the US for a job?

cupcakes

Jan 10, 2014
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-06-2014
Nomination.....
04-06-2014
AOR Received.
30-01-2015
Med's Request
30-01-2015
Med's Done....
31-01-2015
Passport Req..
05-15-2015
VISA ISSUED...
05-25-2015
LANDED..........
06-15-2015
As of last week, I have officially completed 1,095 days in Canada. I am thinking of taking up a pretty lucrative job offer in the US sometime next month...My wife is Canadian, so my 'base' will always be here.

I understand the new law is not yet in effect. Let's say I move to the US in September, and the new law passes, enabling me to finally apply for citizenship. Would the fact that I, at that point, am working in the US impact my citizenship application in any way, even if I had completed residency obligations in Canada?

Siar

Star Member
Dec 19, 2016
Are you gonna move alone or with wife?
I guess. If you keep your adress here in Canada then I think the worst thing that would happen is you getting no routing application and consequently your application will be slower.
Other members could help you better with your question.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As of last week, I have officially completed 1,095 days in Canada. I am thinking of taking up a pretty lucrative job offer in the US sometime next month...My wife is Canadian, so my 'base' will always be here.

I understand the new law is not yet in effect. Let's say I move to the US in September, and the new law passes, enabling me to finally apply for citizenship. Would the fact that I, at that point, am working in the US impact my citizenship application in any way, even if I had completed residency obligations in Canada?
The answer is yes - you should expect your application to be impacted.

There's a decent chance you'll end up triggering the RQ process if you move to the US. For some reason there's an absolutely massive misconception here that before the current citizenship rules came into place, there were no issues applying for citizenship and then leaving the country. Quite the opposite. It was extremely common to see RQ triggered for individuals who either traveled a lot or those who applied and then left Canada. So even if the current rules go away, should still expect there's a decent chance for RQ and prolonged citizenship application processing timelines.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
The answer is yes - you should expect your application to be impacted.

There's a decent chance you'll end up triggering the RQ process if you move to the US. For some reason there's an absolutely massive misconception here that before the current citizenship rules came into place, there were no issues applying for citizenship and then leaving the country. Quite the opposite. It was extremely common to see RQ triggered for individuals who either traveled a lot or those who applied and then left Canada. So even if the current rules go away, should still expect there's a decent chance for RQ and prolonged citizenship application processing timelines.
This question comes up at least monthly, sometimes it is for US sometimes for Dubai ... and it will keep coming..

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
And when this question comes up, posters rarely include enough details to give a complete answer. There is no legal bar to moving abroad after applying for Canadian citizenship now that the intent to reside clause has been abolished, but this doesn't mean you application wont be affected as moving abroad often raises factual concerns about your physical presence declarations. Moreover, its just not clear if IRCC will process a citizenship application from someone with foreign address. If the OP's wife is remaining resident in Canada then her address could possibly be his address for the purposes of the citizenship application, but this raises all kinds of questions about residence, intent and potential misrepresentation for which there aren't clear answers.

immipak

Jul 20, 2017

How will you work in the US?. TN Status, but that only is for Canadians?. What visa would you apply for?.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How will you work in the US?. TN Status, but that only is for Canadians?. What visa would you apply for?.
Probably an H1-b. Or the OP is American and doesn't need a visa to work in the US (like my husband).

cupcakes

Jan 10, 2014
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-06-2014
Nomination.....
04-06-2014
AOR Received.
30-01-2015
Med's Request
30-01-2015
Med's Done....
31-01-2015
Passport Req..
05-15-2015
VISA ISSUED...
05-25-2015
LANDED..........
06-15-2015
I will be on H1b. My wife will continue to live in Canada (she's Canadian). While I have not yet accepted the US offer, the only reason I am seriously considering taking it is that, from a salary perspective, it is far, far higher than what I expect to get in Canada. It is also not too far from where I now live in Canada with my wife, so I anticipate weekly or bi-weekly trips back home should I join.

this doesn't mean you application wont be affected as moving abroad often raises factual concerns about your physical presence declarations.
What do you mean by this? Physical presence declarations are for those 1,095 days being physically in Canada - which I have already completed. Why would moving abroad *after* I successfully complete the residency obligation raise any red flags? Genuine question. I don't quite understand what the issue is, hence this thread in the first place.

There's a decent chance you'll end up triggering the RQ process if you move to the US.
Isn't the RQ for applicants who IRCC "suspects may not have met the residence requirement to become a Canadian citizen"? I have already done so while living and working in Canada the past several years, not by living abroad and having multiple trips back and forth (and have extensive documentation supporting this, of course), so my concern is what happens if I apply for citizenship from the US well after I have met the residency requirements in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Isn't the RQ for applicants who IRCC "suspects may not have met the residence requirement to become a Canadian citizen"? I have already done so while living and working in Canada the past several years, not by living abroad and having multiple trips back and forth (and have extensive documentation supporting this, of course), so my concern is what happens if I apply for citizenship from the US well after I have met the residency requirements in Canada.
Doesn't change my answer.

Yes - that's what the RQ is. However CIC will often trigger it for those who are out of the country frequently or move after applying. I'm giving you the "what really happens" view - rather than the "what's written on the web site view". What really happens is all that matters. Better to be prepared.

RQ happened to my husband (who also happens to be American). He had lots of extra days but traveled a lot for business - so RQ was triggered.

Also lots of cases here where people moved after applying and RQ was triggered.

I would just say be prepared for the possibility. The RQ process is a PIA that requires you to gather a ton of extra paperwork. Luckily it only delayed my husband by a few months and we had good evidence. But many are delayed much longer.

cupcakes

Jan 10, 2014
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-06-2014
Nomination.....
04-06-2014
AOR Received.
30-01-2015
Med's Request
30-01-2015
Med's Done....
31-01-2015
Passport Req..
05-15-2015
VISA ISSUED...
05-25-2015
LANDED..........
06-15-2015
Thanks for the info, very helpful. Certainly has made me rethink seriously on what I should do moving forward!

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
I will be on H1b. My wife will continue to live in Canada (she's Canadian). While I have not yet accepted the US offer, the only reason I am seriously considering taking it is that, from a salary perspective, it is far, far higher than what I expect to get in Canada. It is also not too far from where I now live in Canada with my wife, so I anticipate weekly or bi-weekly trips back home should I join.

What do you mean by this? Physical presence declarations are for those 1,095 days being physically in Canada - which I have already completed. Why would moving abroad *after* I successfully complete the residency obligation raise any red flags? Genuine question. I don't quite understand what the issue is, hence this thread in the first place.

Doesn't matter if you have completed the requirement . I personally know people who completed the residency requirement and moved to the US for work after submitting their application , and they never got any update on their application until they had to move back 2+ years later because their PR was about to expire

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting

I myself is in a similar situation as you. Lucrative job offer in US on H1b with canadian wife. Most likely both my wife and I will move in October/November. I have probably 1100+ days now (counting days as bill C6) and been living here since 2007. This citizenship dilemma is really bothering me.

From information you can find on CIC website and forums such as this, it should be technically allowed. The only issue being you need to apply while in Canada. Regardless of whether you get RQ or not shouldnt matter. If you have already fulfilled the requirements (residency, tax returns, status), I expect you will be fine. But as everyone else already said, there is a high chance it will be not be a routine application.
Also you need to be prepared to travel back for test. interview and oath. In the interview, they usually ask about where you work and live. Once they see that you are working and living elsewhere, it will raise concerns about the truthfulness of the rest of the application. So be prepared with proof to defend that. There is a possibility that you will need to see a citizenship judge.
Also might not be a bad idea to consult a good lawyer before you send your application.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
You can always get a next job once you get the citizenship. If taking this risk, there's a chance of long delay and it is just not worth that extra amount of income, especially considering you have spent so many years here already, what's the big hurry for a few more months or a year...

Reactions: BaNana82