+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for citizenship when my PR renewal is under processing?

Irisyaoyao

Aug 15, 2017
Hello,

My PR card expired in April 2017. I submitted my application for PR card renewal in Feb 2017, two months later, I received a notification requesting me to submit further documentations. I submitted the documents in May 2017. So far, I have not received any feedback regarding my PR card renewal. I aware the processing time could take up to two years once it falls out of conventional path.

I will be qualified to apply for citizenship by the end of 2017. If my PR renewal is still under processing by the end of 2017, could I go ahead and apply for citizenship? Or do I need to wait until this case closed that I can start my citizenship application?

Also, I would like to know how can I prove my PR status in Canada if my PR card expired? Is there any other ID we could use?

walktheline

Star Member
Oct 28, 2016
If you apply for citizenship and the PR card renewal is not finalized, your citizenship application will be put on hold until that is finalized. Because citizenship application needs immigration clearance and your PR card renewal in progress has triggered PRD (Permanent Resident Determination).

You should have been better off just with an expired PR card if you don't have any travel plan. Simply having an expired PR card is much better than a PR card renewal getting stuck.

PR status does not have to be proved by PR card, landing paper is enough. PR card is only a travel document, if you don't travel, you don't even need PR card. But renewing PR card will trigger PRD which is not good for citizenship application. So when planning renewing PR card and applying citizenship, never should put these two things in the same time frame. Also PR card is not the only ID, driving license, health card and provincial ID card all can be used as ID.

But considering C-6 will see flood of applications later, you should still submit citizenship application ASAP once you are eligible, at least you can be placed in front of queue.

Last edited:

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
Also, I would like to know how can I prove my PR status in Canada if my PR card expired? Is there any other ID we could use?
Confirmation of Permanent Residence(CoPR) is the document I used to before I was issued PR Card. I used the same document to enter Canada by land as well. As such, there is no document that can prove the PR status one way or other...

Reactions: Irisyaoyao

KenCalgary2016

Star Member
Nov 25, 2016
Hello,

My PR card expired in April 2017. I submitted my application for PR card renewal in Feb 2017, two months later, I received a notification requesting me to submit further documentations. I submitted the documents in May 2017. So far, I have not received any feedback regarding my PR card renewal. I aware the processing time could take up to two years once it falls out of conventional path.

I will be qualified to apply for citizenship by the end of 2017. If my PR renewal is still under processing by the end of 2017, could I go ahead and apply for citizenship? Or do I need to wait until this case closed that I can start my citizenship application?

Hello,

My father is a truck driver, our PR card expired oct 2016, He need to renewed his PR because he need it,
he does canada-us run. He submitted his renewal application for his PR, at the same time we submitted our canadian citizenship application at the same time. He received his PR January 2017. And below our timeline for canadian citizenship application.

We was delayed because of FBI PCC.
Citizenship Office: Calgary
App Mailed - Dec. 1, 2016
App Delivered - Dec. 5, 2016
AOR Received - Jan. 10, 2017
In Process - Jan. 19, 2017
Test Invite - Feb. 13, 2017
Test taken - Mar. 14, 2017
App FBI PCC - Mar. 14, 2017
App FBI PCC Mailed - Mar. 15, 2017
App FBI PCC Received FBI - Mar. 30, 2017
FBI PCC mailed back Jun. 6, 2017
FBI PCC Report received - Jun. 13, 2017
FBI PCC Report sent to CIC - Jun. 14, 2017
FBI PCC Report CIC received - Jun. 15, 2017
Decision Made - Jun. 21, 2017
Oath invite - Jul. 11, 2017
Oath - Jul. 28, 2017

And you can use your driver's licence, your country passport and health card.

vitoriaboy

Aug 26, 2017
Hello,

My father is a truck driver, our PR card expired oct 2016, He need to renewed his PR because he need it,
he does canada-us run. He submitted his renewal application for his PR, at the same time we submitted our canadian citizenship application at the same time. He received his PR January 2017. And below our timeline for canadian citizenship application.

We was delayed because of FBI PCC.
Citizenship Office: Calgary
App Mailed - Dec. 1, 2016
App Delivered - Dec. 5, 2016
AOR Received - Jan. 10, 2017
In Process - Jan. 19, 2017
Test Invite - Feb. 13, 2017
Test taken - Mar. 14, 2017
App FBI PCC - Mar. 14, 2017
App FBI PCC Mailed - Mar. 15, 2017
App FBI PCC Received FBI - Mar. 30, 2017
FBI PCC mailed back Jun. 6, 2017
FBI PCC Report received - Jun. 13, 2017
FBI PCC Report sent to CIC - Jun. 14, 2017
FBI PCC Report CIC received - Jun. 15, 2017
Decision Made - Jun. 21, 2017
Oath invite - Jul. 11, 2017
Oath - Jul. 28, 2017

And you can use your driver's licence, your country passport and health card.
Can you please tell us how many days of physical presence did your father have in Canada?
With truck driving, I am surprised he did not get RQ, because I am assuming he exited and entered Canada quite a lot.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
With truck driving, I am surprised he did not get RQ, because I am assuming he exited and entered Canada quite a lot.
Contrary to popular opinion, there is little reason to apprehend that frequency of travel alone will increase the risk of RQ by much.

The absence or near-total absence of travel abroad (except as to those for whom travel abroad is not expected, like refugees) is actually more likely to increase the risk of RQ . . . where the absence of travel is incongruous with who the applicant is.

What matters more is the whole picture, how reported travel fits into the whole scheme of who the applicant is, and in particular its consistency with the lifestyle and employment history of the applicant.

A professional truck driver doing Canada-U.S. runs, for example, will have a pattern of travel which should be consistent with this employment. Those border crossings are more thoroughly documented, and indeed the truck driver himself or herself will almost certainly have a well-kept, highly detailed log of each and every trip. And given the relatively high number of border-crossing events, it would be rather easy for a processing agent to discern, virtually at a glance, if there is some incongruity (let alone an outright inconsistency) in the pattern compared to the CBSA travel history. Obviously this assumes the truck-driver applicant completely and accurately reports all travel dates.

Thus, the truck driver may actually have one of the most solid, readily verified applications, compared to many others.

In contrast, applicants reporting frequent international travel which is out of sync with the kind of employment they report having in Canada are indeed at higher risk for RQ. Any pattern which indicates the possibility that the applicant has unreported employment abroad will quite likely trigger RQ. And so on.

As for the topic here: having an expired PR card or a PR card application in process should have no negative impact on a legitimate, qualified applicant's case.

Reactions: KenCalgary2016

vitoriaboy

Aug 26, 2017
Contrary to popular opinion, there is little reason to apprehend that frequency of travel alone will increase the risk of RQ by much.

The absence or near-total absence of travel abroad (except as to those for whom travel abroad is not expected, like refugees) is actually more likely to increase the risk of RQ . . . where the absence of travel is incongruous with who the applicant is.

What matters more is the whole picture, how reported travel fits into the whole scheme of who the applicant is, and in particular its consistency with the lifestyle and employment history of the applicant.

A professional truck driver doing Canada-U.S. runs, for example, will have a pattern of travel which should be consistent with this employment. Those border crossings are more thoroughly documented, and indeed the truck driver himself or herself will almost certainly have a well-kept, highly detailed log of each and every trip. And given the relatively high number of border-crossing events, it would be rather easy for a processing agent to discern, virtually at a glance, if there is some incongruity (let alone an outright inconsistency) in the pattern compared to the CBSA travel history. Obviously this assumes the truck-driver applicant completely and accurately reports all travel dates.

Thus, the truck driver may actually have one of the most solid, readily verified applications, compared to many others.

In contrast, applicants reporting frequent international travel which is out of sync with the kind of employment they report having in Canada are indeed at higher risk for RQ. Any pattern which indicates the possibility that the applicant has unreported employment abroad will quite likely trigger RQ. And so on.

As for the topic here: having an expired PR card or a PR card application in process should have no negative impact on a legitimate, qualified applicant's case.
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, you are absolutely wrong. Travelling often is the single most deciding factor in issuing RQs.

Reactions: mickey_mouse