+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for citizenship in my maiden name?

micrarach

Star Member
Mar 8, 2018
Hello lovely people,

I love this site and it is has been incredibly helpful while I went through the PR process. I am now at the point where I am eligible to apply for citizenship!

I applied for PR in my maiden name. I was married but hadn't yet changed my passport so the PR application was in my maiden name. Once landed here I went through the process of changing my name on my passport, PR card etc so everything matches. Fast forward a few years and I have applied for divorce and I am looking to go back to using my maiden name. I was wondering if I am able to apply for citizenship in my maiden name? I don't yet have a divorce certificate, but was wondering if that matters as I would be provide the marriage certificate to show the link between the two names I have used.

I'm eager the get the citizenship process moving but I'm also trying to think ahead to what will be the least amount of hassle. Alternatively I can wait until the divorce is effective and I have the certificate to prove the marriage is dissolved. This way I don't have to worry about changing back to my maiden name etc down the line. I can't be the only one out there thinking about this!