+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for citizenship from abroad??

Sunny2017

Jun 15, 2017
Hi everyone,

I am currently residing abroad and fulfil the requirements of citizenship. Can I apply from abroad, like I can send complete package of application from abroad and give my relative's address. Is this legal and okay to do? Or is it necessary for me to come back just to apply for citizenship? Especially when one doesn't have Any help will be highly appreciated

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hi everyone,

I am currently residing abroad and fulfil the requirements of citizenship. Can I apply from abroad, like I can send complete package of application from abroad and give my relative's address. Is this legal and okay to do? Or is it necessary for me to come back just to apply for citizenship? Especially when one doesn't have Any help will be highly appreciated
No, you cannot.. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp

NewUser2018

Jun 15, 2017
Boy you will get into trouble, unless you are NBA, NHL player with high end lawyers who can do paperworks in Canada don't do it.

Sunny2017

Jun 15, 2017
Boy you will get into trouble, unless you are NBA, NHL player with high end lawyers who can do paperworks in Canada don't do it.

Can u plz throw a little light on this? I can come and apply and then leave the other day. But for mailing application, I need to be here?? Especially when we don't have to show the intent to reside in current scenario. Thank in anticipation

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Technically, is one thing. Practically, is another.

An applicant who clearly meets the requirements will be granted citizenship. That is how it works. The law states shall be granted citizenship.

Whether IRCC assesses your case and concludes you meet the requirements, however, is subject to a range of practical considerations. To some extent where one is living suggests something about where one has been living. To some extent, where one is working suggests something about where one has been living and working. To the extent a person has ties abroad, that suggests something about the veracity of their claims about time in Canada.

Applying after already having moved abroad is bound to invite questions, concerns, and probably some doubt, if not overt skepticism, about how much time was actually spent in Canada.

An applicant prepared for delays and for responding to RQ and in that response proving actual presence, as in presence in-between the dates of entry and next exit, really proving actual presence for those days, should be able to ultimately prevail and be granted citizenship. Caution, that can be a more difficult burden than many recognize.

Remember, there is no requirement that the applicant "deserve" Canadian citizenship, but anyone who overlooks the importance of appearing to deserve Canadian citizenship is a fool.

In the meantime, be careful about declaring any address as your residential address if you do not really live there. The consequences for misrepresentation are more severe now than they were not all that long ago. Hint: highly secure accommodations may be available, bars included.

All that said, the particulars matter, your actual situation matters, the reason for being abroad, and for how long, matters. Lot of depends, depends on this, depends on that, are in play.

Sunny2017

Jun 15, 2017
Elaborate explaination. Thanks for clearing my thought pattern. I just went 6 months back and wanted to know if I can come once my test date is here. But as per my understanding, it shall be preferable to apply from here. What doesn't make sense to me is tat do I need to stay here for the time my application is being processed or I can make a short trip just to apply for citizenship?? I don't want to declare something wrong and will declare tat my residential address as abroad. After C6 approval, what do u suggest. Any comments