+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for Citizenship even if my PR card may expire in that time

DoctorEnglish

Apr 25, 2013
Hello just looking for a little information, I have been a permenant resident since May 2014, I have lived in Canada since July 2012, according to what I could find earlier I have to live in Canada for 4 years out of the 6 however my card is only eligible for 5 years not 6? unless this changed during the time I recieved mine, it runs out in May 2019.

I was going to apply for Citizenship this year and began looking up the requirements but as I stated above it looks like im not eligible until 2018 at the earliest to apply? So what I am looking for answers on is if I waited until 2018 to apply for Citizenship knowing my PR card will run out in May 2019 and the application could/will take longer than 12 months, will I have to leave Canada when it runs out or should I apply for a new residency card before my Citizenship? How should I approach this?

Thanks in advance!

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Better to apply for PR card before the expiry.

DoctorEnglish

Apr 25, 2013
Thanks for the response! If I were to reapply for a PR card, would it take the same amount of time as before or would it take less time because I have been a PR previously?

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
You don't have to leave Canada if your PR Card expires. The PR status is permanent unless revoked or renounced. You can stay inside Canada indefinitely without a PR Card. But to enter Canada, you will need a valid PR Card or a PRTD.

DoctorEnglish

Apr 25, 2013
Hot2Cold said:
You don't have to leave Canada if your PR Card expires. The PR status is permanent unless revoked or renounced. You can stay inside Canada indefinitely without a PR Card. But to enter Canada, you will need a valid PR Card or a PRTD.
Ok so if my PR card runs out what will this mean for me? whats the point of an expiry date?

Blueboy1980

Star Member
Feb 8, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DoctorEnglish said:
Hello just looking for a little information, I have been a permenant resident since May 2014, I have lived in Canada since July 2012, according to what I could find earlier I have to live in Canada for 4 years out of the 6 however my card is only eligible for 5 years not 6? unless this changed during the time I recieved mine, it runs out in May 2019.

I was going to apply for Citizenship this year and began looking up the requirements but as I stated above it looks like im not eligible until 2018 at the earliest to apply? So what I am looking for answers on is if I waited until 2018 to apply for Citizenship knowing my PR card will run out in May 2019 and the application could/will take longer than 12 months, will I have to leave Canada when it runs out or should I apply for a new residency card before my Citizenship? How should I approach this?

Thanks in advance!
If you're​ in Canada when your PR card expires, you don't have to leave Canada. If your PR card expires it doesn't change anything in regards to your PR status, you're still a PR regardless. The only issue you will have is returning to Canada if you travel abroad. The PR card is essentially just a travel document.

You can apply for citizenship and PR card renewal at the same time if you wish. 6 months before your PR card expires send off for a renewal if you still haven't received Citizenship. It's only $50 to renew a PR card and $50 is a small price to pay considering how much hassle it would save you if you ever need to travel.

I sent off my citizenship application while my PR card was being renewed as CIC said the two processes are completely separate.

andykumar

Dec 31, 2016
DoctorEnglish said:
Ok so if my PR card runs out what will this mean for me? whats the point of an expiry date?
As with all photo ID cards, they expire. That's about it. Oh, and the matter of $50.

DoctorEnglish

Apr 25, 2013
Blueboy1980 said:
If you're​ in Canada when your PR card expires, you don't have to leave Canada. If your PR card expires it doesn't change anything in regards to your PR status, you're still a PR regardless. The only issue you will have is returning to Canada if you travel abroad. The PR card is essentially just a travel document.

You can apply for citizenship and PR card renewal at the same time if you wish. 6 months before your PR card expires send off for a renewal if you still haven't received Citizenship. It's only $50 to renew a PR card and $50 is a small price to pay considering how much hassle it would save you if you ever need to travel.

I sent off my citizenship application while my PR card was being renewed as CIC said the two processes are completely separate.
Thanks for the information! just $50? perfect and how long does that take to get renewed?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
DoctorEnglish said:
Thanks for the information! just $50? perfect and how long does that take to get renewed?
you can renew your pr card as early as before 6 months it expires. The processing time is currently 49 days.

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
If you don't plan to leave the country after the PR card expiry, just go for the citizenship application. You are a PR regardless of the expiry of the card.

stargazerlilly

Star Member
Sep 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DoctorEnglish said:

Thanks in advance!

I applied and became Canadian on an expired PR card.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
stargazerlilly said:
I applied and became Canadian on an expired PR card.
Same with my spouse. If there's any chance you'll need to travel abroad before you get citizenship, renew the PR card. If you don't travel, you don't need to renew it.

stargazerlilly

Star Member
Sep 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alphazip said:
Same with my spouse. If there's any chance you'll need to travel abroad before you get citizenship, renew the PR card. If you don't travel, you don't need to renew it.
Same here,that's what the IRCC call agent told me. That it's fine to apply with an expired PR card,just as long as you don't leave Canada. You'll need a PR card to enter Canada,if you plan to travel abroad.

DoctorEnglish

Apr 25, 2013
stargazerlilly said:
Same here,that's what the IRCC call agent told me. That it's fine to apply with an expired PR card,just as long as you don't leave Canada. You'll need a PR card to enter Canada,if you plan to travel abroad.
Perfect! Thanks for the information as of right now I have no plans to leave the country, how long after your PR card expired did you apply for Citizenship? and how long did it take for it to all be approved?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DoctorEnglish said:
Perfect! Thanks for the information as of right now I have no plans to leave the country, how long after your PR card expired did you apply for Citizenship? and how long did it take for it to all be approved?
In my spouse's case, the PR card was expired for several years, and the process took 7 months. There actually was land travel to the U.S. while the card was expired, but, probably because of being a U.S. citizen married to a Canadian, this wasn't really an issue.