+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for Canadian Visa(I am dual citizenship)

hunter007

Feb 21, 2013
Hi, I just got my canadian passport the end of last year . I am back to China on Jan. this year use my Chinese passport, and now I want to back to Canada. But I can't leave China with my Chinese passport because I have no visa or PR card of Canada. My questions are:

1, Can I got a Canadian visa with my Chinese passport?
2, What kind of visa I need apply for?
3,Can I got 10 years multi-entry Visa.(Actruly I just show this Visa to Chinese officer, and I will use my Canadian passport to entry Canada)

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
You cannot be a dual citizen with Chinese citizenship, as it is not permitted by Chinese law to hold dual citizenship.

Under Chinese Law, you ceased to be a Chinese citizen as soon as you became a Canadian Citizen (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_citizenship).

I would suggest that you travel to some intermediate location, where they will not care that you have a Canadian passport and then travel from that location. You can show the airline your Canadian passport but exit the country on your Chinese passport (assuming they have exit controls) and then use your Canadian passport to enter Canada.

For example, you could obtain a US visa and once in the US you could easily travel onwards to Canada.

In the end, it seems you will need to decide between being a Chinese or Canadian Citizen. This isn't an issue for Canada, though, it's an issue for China.