+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i apply for asylum in Canada with a pending asylum case in the united state?

samsomsamsom

Sep 20, 2016
hello everybody
i am a Syrian single mother who applied for asylum in the united state in (DEC 2015) and have not here anything from the asylum office. when i went to their office they told me to wait for nearly 4-5 years until my interview turn comes.however, i have 2 children in college too who are paying international students fees until our application is approved.In addition to my chronic health problems, i can not get medical treatment unless its life threatening disease.

My question is can i seek asylum in Canada? nearly all my family member are Canadian ( brothers and sisters).
is that an exception to the third safe country agreement!
what is the best land border point to seek asylum in Canada?
how long does the whole process of approval takes?

Thank you very much in advance

irvah

Star Member
Apr 1, 2015
Vancouver, BC
According to

http://ccrweb.ca/sites/ccrweb.ca/files/static-files/s3cFAQ.html

“If you meet one of the exceptions to the safe third country rule, you will be able to present your refugee claim in Canada at a land border point”

You have in Canada a brother or sister, so you meet the exception.

Make sure that “If you arrive at a border point and make a refugee claim, an immigration officer will interview you to see if you meet any of the exceptions. The officer will take into account what you say and will look at any documents you provide. The officer may also do some research (for example, if you say you have a family member in Canada, the officer will look for that person in the immigration databases and may try to speak to them on the telephone). You should try to bring with you documents that show you meet an exception. If you have a family member in Canada, you should know how to contact that person on the day you make your claim in Canada”

In regards to your claim in USA:

“If you meet one of the exceptions to the safe third country rule, you can make a claim in Canada whether or not you have applied for asylum in the US”

samsomsamsom

Sep 20, 2016
thank you very much for your comment

can i apply from Seattle- Vancouver border?
is it a protected point for refugee claim
if not what border are ready to accept refuges.
thanks again ;D

irvah

Star Member
Apr 1, 2015
Vancouver, BC
It is hard to say what POE is better for you to claim refugee protection in Canada.

As you are still in USA, you can contact Jericho Road Community Health Center's Vive shelter, the largest refugee shelter in the United States and ask for advise. An essential part of VIVE's work is providing legal advice and assistance for refugees seeking protection in Canada or the United States.

Jerecho Road Community Health Center
VIVE Shelter
184 Barton St.
Buffalo, NY 14213

Phone 716-892-4354
http://www.jrchc.org/vive/information-for-asylum-seekers/how-can-vive-help-me-27/

Vive assists refugee claimants who have a qualifying family member according to the Safe Third Country Agreement to schedule an appointment with the Canada Border Services Agency. They will
Request an appointment on your behalf with the Canada Border Services Agency
Assist in gathering documentation to support your claim and proof of qualifying family member
Provide an orientation about entering Canada to make a refugee claim
Provide taxi services to the Canadian border (please refer to the Information & Fee Schedule section)
Answer your questions to the best of our ability, but cannot give Canadian Legal advice