+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for asylum in Canada if my dependents have dual nationality?

ogmotta

Jul 16, 2018
Good day!
I am Venezuelan.. I feel persecuted for political reasons. It is possible to ask for asylum in Canada. My wife is Venezuelan-Italian and my 10-month-old daughter has a Venezuelan-Us Citizen-Italian passport. I'm just Venezuelan Citizen.
Question:
If I make the asylum request,
1) The nationality of my dependents can influence a possible denial?
2) when I enter to canada I can do it tourist visa and my dependents with Italian passport ? or should we all enter Venezuelan passoport and touris visa stamped?
3) is possible to ask the asylum in the border US-Canada?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Good day!
I am Venezuelan.. I feel persecuted for political reasons. It is possible to ask for asylum in Canada. My wife is Venezuelan-Italian and my 10-month-old daughter has a Venezuelan-Us Citizen-Italian passport. I'm just Venezuelan Citizen.
Question:
2) when I enter to canada I can do it tourist visa and my dependents with Italian passport ? or should we all enter Venezuelan passoport and touris visa stamped?
Hi

Feeling persecuted doesn't mean anything. You have to show that you have actually been persecuted, i.e. actual threats, police reports, hospital records etc.

What is preventing you from going to Italy? As the spouse of an Italian citizen, you can likely live there pretty easily.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good day!
Question:
Chances of a claim for your wife and daughter are 0.
And your chances might be impacted as well with that. You might have to prove that you are unable to live with your wife in Italy.
Under normal circumstances, you should be able to get a family reunion in Italy, if your wife has Italian citizenship. Did you ever attempt that?

ogmotta

Jul 16, 2018
Hi

Feeling persecuted doesn't mean anything. You have to show that you have actually been persecuted, i.e. actual threats, police reports, hospital records etc.

What is preventing you from going to Italy? As the spouse of an Italian citizen, you can likely live there pretty easily.
I already have all the Threats and police reports.. I m actually persecuted for political reasons.
we have relatives in US this is why we want to be close

ogmotta

Jul 16, 2018
Chances of a claim for your wife and daughter are 0.
And your chances might be impacted as well with that. You might have to prove that you are unable to live with your wife in Italy.
Under normal circumstances, you should be able to get a family reunion in Italy, if your wife has Italian citizenship. Did you ever attempt that?
do you think they will consider my wife and daughter other nationalites? If I am the ONE who makes the ASYLUM PETITION?

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
do you think they will consider my wife and daughter other nationalites? If I am the ONE who makes the ASYLUM PETITION?
As for your daughter not (as a minor she is not able to help you). But they might consider your wife nationality. It will certainly be one of the questions, because you do have that option there.
And lack of Italian language or fear that you will be unemployed there, is not the answers that will get you through.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Being close to relatives in the US is also not a good reason not to try resettlement in Italy. I would suspect they would see this as a refugee of convenience as you have other viable options available to you.
If being close to relatives is the goal, why not claim in the US?

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Being close to relatives in the US is also not a good reason not to try resettlement in Italy. I would suspect they would see this as a refugee of convenience as you have other viable options available to you.
If being close to relatives is the goal, why not claim in the US?
To me it looks. that they are in USA for some time already (wether legally or not). And their daughter was born there. But with a recent changed they would like to move to Canada.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I already have all the Threats and police reports.. I m actually persecuted for political reasons.
we have relatives in US this is why we want to be close
Wanting to be close to relatives in the US is not a valid reason to overcome the fact that you can move to Italy.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
To get asylum you can't have any other safe options. Given your wife is Italian and you could all relocate to Italy will be a big issue. She could then sponsor you then.

Reactions: visatest