+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for an open work permit?

nathlogic

Sep 9, 2015
I am working here on an IEC permit that expires in Feb 2016. My employer has applied for the Ontario PNP pre-screening back in April but this hasn't been approved yet and it's unlikely to come in time for Feb next year. My employer also considered applying for an LMIA but it's very unlikely to be successful due to my skill set. I have created an express entry profile (CEC) but I don't have enough points for an ITA (just below 400).

I have looked at applying for an open work permit but I'm not sure I am eligible as the requirements seem a little vague. I need another work permit to tie me over until I get PNP nomination.

Am I eligible for an open/closed work permit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What country are you from in terms of getting another IEC visa? From what I understand (happy to be wrong) the open work permit would not be an option until you have an ITA and AOR for PR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You are not eligible for an open work permit until you get the PNP nomination.

To qualify for a closed work permit, your employer would need to first obtain an approved LMIA.

nathlogic

Sep 9, 2015
ozlis said:
What country are you from in terms of getting another IEC visa? From what I understand (happy to be wrong) the open work permit would not be an option until you have an ITA and AOR for PR.
Thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately I can't get another IEC as I have have x2 work permits. I'm from the UK.

carmine

Nov 16, 2015
im applying for a open work permit.. im a us citizen in Canada as a visitor.. im married to a Canadian citizen.. and we are trying to work on a spousal visa but we want to stay together, not me return home to usa.. we are doing form imm5710 for an intl.. and open work permit.. im an electrician by trade.. dont not have any work offers yet but want to make sure were doing right paper work first.. can someone help?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
carmine said:
im applying for a open work permit.. im a us citizen in Canada as a visitor.. im married to a Canadian citizen.. and we are trying to work on a spousal visa but we want to stay together, not me return home to usa.. we are doing form imm5710 for an intl.. and open work permit.. im an electrician by trade.. dont not have any work offers yet but want to make sure were doing right paper work first.. can someone help?
If you want to apply for an open work permit, you need to submit an inland spousal sponsorship application and include an open work permit along with the spousal sponsorship package. The open work permit will be approved approximately four months after the inland application is received by CIC. If you have further questions - you should ask them in the Family Sponsorship section of the forum.