+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for a work permit at Port-of-Entry without LMO? Pls read my status.

AmericanWoman

Nov 13, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga-Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 5th 2010
AOR Received.
September 13th 2010
File Transfer...
September 3rd 2010
Med's Done....
February 25th 2010
Interview........
Waived
Hi,

My husband is Canadian and we are "living" in Canada. (I cross back into the States every other week. I use the term "living" lightly.) I am a US citizen with a Master's Degree in Public Health. My Permanent Residency has been in progress for about 2 months. I am very anxious to begin my career in Canada, but am unsure as to my options or the best route to take while I am waiting.

It is my understanding that at some point during my PR process I will have the option to obtain a work permit. Does anyone have experience with this? I have had some difficulty figuring out if my degree falls under catergories in which I can be granted a permit by this route? Any fellow US MPH degree holders? Finally, can I apply for a work permit at a Port-of-Entry (Detroit) without a LMO, meaning soley based on the fact that my PR is in progress and I have a professional degree?

Your insight and advice is appreciated.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

AmericanWoman said:
Hi,

My husband is Canadian and we are "living" in Canada. (I cross back into the States every other week. I use the term "living" lightly.) I am a US citizen with a Master's Degree in Public Health. My Permanent Residency has been in progress for about 2 months. I am very anxious to begin my career in Canada, but am unsure as to my options or the best route to take while I am waiting.

It is my understanding that at some point during my PR process I will have the option to obtain a work permit. Does anyone have experience with this? I have had some difficulty figuring out if my degree falls under catergories in which I can be granted a permit by this route? Any fellow US MPH degree holders? Finally, can I apply for a work permit at a Port-of-Entry (Detroit) without a LMO, meaning soley based on the fact that my PR is in progress and I have a professional degree?

Your insight and advice is appreciated.
Short answer, No. If you applied "outside Canada" via Mississauga and Buffalo is the processing office, you won't get a work permit without an LMO. If you applied "In-Canada" via Vegreville and included a request for a work permit, it will be issued if you receive first level approval in about 8/9 months. If you are thinking about NAFTA there are no Public Health Occupations contained in Appendix 1603.D.1 of the 60 NAFTA occupations. So you will need an employer and an approved LMO>

AmericanWoman

Nov 13, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga-Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 5th 2010
AOR Received.
September 13th 2010
File Transfer...