+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for a Work Permit at Port of Entry After September 7th?

jackyboy123

Sep 6, 2021
Hi All,

I've been looking everywhere to find the solution to this but no guidance yet. I am planning to come to Canada from Australia as part of an Intra-Company Transfer as a highly skilled worker. My flight will take me via the US, and in order to circumvent long application times by applying for a consular work permit, I am looking at applying for a work permit when I arrive in Canada. I am fully vaccinated and will be arriving after September 7th when the borders open up, but the CIC website says the following:

"Most people can’t apply for a work permit or give their biometrics at a Canadian port of entry right now due to travel restrictions.

You should only apply at the port of entry if you meet all of these conditions:

"

I am unsure if this is going to change after September 7th, or if a border officer will take the fact that my travel will originate in Australia as a reason for me to not be eligible to apply at a port of entry. I meet all the other criteria

Has anyone else had similar expeience on this, or have they received advice on this matter?

Thanks.

Mgvp1987

Aug 6, 2021
I'm looking to do this too, our immigration lawyer seems to think the US route was only in place due to covid and will be lifted today

kashy885

Oct 28, 2020
Are you visa exempt to enter Canada? If you're not, you cannot get a WP at the port of entry even if you're coming from the US

Mgvp1987

Aug 6, 2021
Yea from the UK, tick all the other boxes, and bringing wife who hopefully can also get open work permit at border

jackyboy123

Sep 6, 2021
Are you visa exempt to enter Canada? If you're not, you cannot get a WP at the port of entry even if you're coming from the US
Yes same for me too. I’m from Australia so it’s only an eTA for me to enter. I already have a valid eTA from a pre-COVID trip.