+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for a study permit in Canada with a visitor visa?

adanthony90

Jul 23, 2018
Hi everyone,

I applied for a study permit for Canada from the USA on the 21st of June 2018 received a refusal letter a few minutes ago :( I am an international student from Malaysia on post completion training in the USA and I have been in New York since 2013. My legality in the US technically ended on the 20th of July 2018. My question is should I reapply for my study permit when I enter Canada or do I have to go back to Malaysia to reapply for this? I have a temporary visitor visa for Canada that is valid until 2023. I just need a study permit to study in Canada. My classes starts September 2018 and I am not sure what to do from here onwards. If anyone has an idea please let me know, I really appreciate some feedback on this.

adanthony90

Jul 23, 2018
Hi!

Since I have a visitor visa, I will be going to Canada at the end of July. Can I apply on paper from Canada and mail the paper application it to the VAC in Los Angeles? or can I apply online?

Sunny329

Jul 23, 2018
I am in Canada on visitor visa
I went to lawyer she applied online for my study permit
She said the online application will go to Los Angeles office for your study permit
I applied in March and I am still waiting
I am very tensed ,don't know what to do ?
Did she applied it right ,I mean can we apply online too ?????
I am in dout

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Do you mean you are in the US illegaly now? This is not great for your permit chances.

Why was your study permit refused and do you have reason to believe your new application will be successful?

According to ircc website if you apply from within canada you need to Apply by mail to the Los Angeles visa processing centre, unless you fall under some special groups.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=483&top=15

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/apply.html#within_canada

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/application-for-a-study-permit-within-canada.453389/

adanthony90

Jul 23, 2018
Hi!

I am in the US legally. I came here on a student visa in 2013 and I have been on post completion OPT for work until 20th July 2018. I am still here legally on a grace period status.

My study permit refusal letter is as follows :

Pursuant to Section 219 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulation, I am not satisfied that you:
have sufficient and available financial resources, without working in Canada, to pay the tuition fees for the course or program of studies that you intend to pursue
*i find that this reason was impossible as I provided all the financial docs they needed and confirmation along with a copy of a bank draft with funds for my studies in CAD.

You have not satisfied me that you would leave Canada at the end of your stay. In reaching this decision, I considered several factors, including:
immigration status in country of residence
family ties in Canada and in country of residence
length of proposed stay in Canada
purpose of visit
personal assets and financial status.

I am applying as a Malaysian international student and when I applied for this I was still working here in the USA. My work authorization ended last Friday. I enrolled for classes in Canada and also signed a lease in Canada because my lease in in the US ends July 31st. So the idea was that I move to Canada at the end of this month with a study permit and I was not expecting a refusal since I was recently granted a visitor visa for 5 years 2 months ago. I do have a visitor visa for Canada but how and where do I reapply for this study permit to get in time for classes?

fatima99

Star Member
Aug 27, 2018
Hi!

I am in the US legally. I came here on a student visa in 2013 and I have been on post completion OPT for work until 20th July 2018. I am still here legally on a grace period status.

My study permit refusal letter is as follows :

Pursuant to Section 219 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulation, I am not satisfied that you:
have sufficient and available financial resources, without working in Canada, to pay the tuition fees for the course or program of studies that you intend to pursue
*i find that this reason was impossible as I provided all the financial docs they needed and confirmation along with a copy of a bank draft with funds for my studies in CAD.

You have not satisfied me that you would leave Canada at the end of your stay. In reaching this decision, I considered several factors, including:
immigration status in country of residence
family ties in Canada and in country of residence
length of proposed stay in Canada
purpose of visit
personal assets and financial status.

I am applying as a Malaysian international student and when I applied for this I was still working here in the USA. My work authorization ended last Friday. I enrolled for classes in Canada and also signed a lease in Canada because my lease in in the US ends July 31st. So the idea was that I move to Canada at the end of this month with a study permit and I was not expecting a refusal since I was recently granted a visitor visa for 5 years 2 months ago. I do have a visitor visa for Canada but how and where do I reapply for this study permit to get in time for classes?
did you end up going to Canada on study permit?