+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I already travel to Canada with LMO and get the Work Permit at US Border?

Edwinmosterd

Jan 9, 2014
Hello,

I am waiting for the possitive LMO to be issued. We prefer not to wait with planning the trip to Canada till we actually receive the work permit. So we want to already travel to Canada as a tourist after we received the positive LMO and pick up my work permit at the US border (near Toronto) later.

Is this possible tecnically (is the work permit proces totally on-line or is there an actual written and signed letter necessary to pick it up)? Or is it not wise to do so for other reasons?

Thanks advace for your help!

Edwin, The Netherlands

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
You can pick up your WP at the port of entry, once you received your positive LMO. What do you mean by "we"?

Edwinmosterd said:
Hello,

I am waiting for the possitive LMO to be issued. We prefer not to wait with planning the trip to Canada till we actually receive the work permit. So we want to already travel to Canada as a tourist after we received the positive LMO and pick up my work permit at the US border (near Toronto) later.

Is this possible tecnically (is the work permit proces totally on-line or is there an actual written and signed letter necessary to pick it up)? Or is it not wise to do so for other reasons?

Thanks advace for your help!

Edwin, The Netherlands

Edwinmosterd

Jan 9, 2014
Thanks for your reply, 'we' is my family. It is my first WP, so I understood I need to do the Temp work application on the cic website first (takes about two months). Or am I wrong?

Azizbek24

Jan 2, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-08-2014
Nomination.....
Waiting
AOR Received.
19-08-2014
u need to apply for trv visa to come to Canada first, and then at the entry they will give you work permit.
without entry visa u can not come to Canada

Maxxam

Nov 8, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-03-2014
You are from the Netherlands right?
In that case you do not need a TRV (visitor visa) to visit Canada, u can just rock up with your passport and get a 90 day visa. Just state that you are only visiting.
Once your lmo is approved you have to do a flagpole run, i.e. cross the border again to get your work permit. The work permit is issued at port of entry once your LMO is approved, you just need to have all documents with you (i.e. offer letter etc.)

I'm currently doing the same. I'm in Canada at the moment on a visitors visa while awaiting the LMO decision.

Btw when did you employer apply for the LMO?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Azizbek24 said:
u need to apply for trv visa to come to Canada first, and then at the entry they will give you work permit.
without entry visa u can not come to Canada
He doesn't need a TRV. He's visa exempt.

Azizbek24

Jan 2, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-08-2014
Nomination.....
Waiting
AOR Received.
19-08-2014
Sorry u r right. I did not see that. He doesn't need TRV.

Edwinmosterd

Jan 9, 2014
Thanks everybody for you comments and help!

I understand that I don't have to apply for a work permit in The Netherlands at the visa office in Vienna (and wait two months for a confirmation letter. I just show up at the border with the LMO and nessecary documents and they will issue the WP at the border.

That sounds easy, thanks!