+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I add more than 1 NOC to count for my work experience in my FSW EE?

#RA#

Sep 1, 2015
Dear fellow members,

I am an Environmental Engineer residing in USA. I am applying as a Federal Skilled Worker via Express Entry. I finished my educational assessment and am ready to apply along with my fiancé.

I have a Master degree in Environmental Engineering and 2 years and 8 months of full time experience under NOC 2131 for Environmental Engineering.

I also have 2 years of Graduate Teaching/Research Assistant while doing my Master degree program. It was a paid job for 20 hour per week, which would be part time and hence may be taken as 1 year of full time, as I understand.

I see that there is a separate NOC, #4012 for "Post-secondary Teaching and research Assistants"

On the CIC website, I also read, "You may be able to count experience as a teaching, research or lab assistant at a post-secondary educational institution, (see National Occupation Classification 4012) toward the work experience requirement, depending on the eligibility criteria of the programs."

In another website (immigration):

Under the question: “Is experience gained during post-secondary studies accepted?”
They have provided the following answer: “Yes, as long as you were paid for the work done and the duties performed were in an occupation whose skill level is recognized by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.”

I am a little bit confused. Can more than 1 NOC be added toward counting work experience under a primary occupation?
Meaning, if I have 2 years and 8 months of NOC 2131 (full-time) and 1 year of NOC 4021 (2 years part-time),
1) Can I add both NOCs while filling out my “Work History”? Would they consider both or ignore one of them?
2) Would it be considered as me having 3 years and 8 months (adding work experience gained on both NOCs) of work experience and points given to that much of work experience? If not, should I try to fit everything under my primary occupation NOC (2131)? Would that help?

Thank you for your time rendered on my behalf and I would appreciate it very much if any helpful information or guidance can be provided.
Many thanks and Good Luck with all your applications!

#RA#

Sep 1, 2015
@Asivad:

Thank you for your reply. I guess my question is, may I add 2 NOCs in one Express Entry profile? Meaning, if I added both 2131 and 4012, since they are 2 different NOCs, would my experience still be added together or considered as separate occupations rendering it ineligible or resulting in less points? I am trying to score my maximum in order to help me receive an ITA.

I appreciate your help.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes. You can add multiple NOCs in your EE profile. It will be added together for CRS purposes. That was the whole import of my previous reply.

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
#RA# said:
@ Asivad:

Thank you for your reply. I guess my question is, may I add 2 NOCs in one Express Entry profile? Meaning, if I added both 2131 and 4012, since they are 2 different NOCs, would my experience still be added together or considered as separate occupations rendering it ineligible or resulting in less points? I am trying to score my maximum in order to help me receive an ITA.

I appreciate your help.
You need one primary NOC in which you have worked for more than one year. The rest of your work experience can be varied in time, place, and NOC, though they should all be NOC A, B, or O. I had 4 NOCs altogether for which I got credit.