+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I accept ITA if I am on maintained/implied status?

jhunix

Star Member
Jan 9, 2017
Category........
Visa Office......
Cebu
App. Filed.......
19-07-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Hi,

I'm currently on maintained/implied status, if I received ITA can accept it? or I am not allowed to accept it as I have to wait for the decision of my work permit extension?

jhunix

Star Member
Jan 9, 2017
Category........
Visa Office......
Cebu
App. Filed.......
19-07-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Oh Thank you so much.

spandita

Feb 18, 2022
Accept it immediately
My closed, Non-LMIA work permit expired in August 2022, and I applied for an extension on June 2022. Currently, I am on implied status as I didn't received the new decision on my request.
I received an ITA on Sep 14, 2022, and I arranged all documents. During the final review, I came across the question under the "Intended Work In Canada" Section. It asks, do you have a valid work permit?

Will the answer still be yes? If yes, do I need to provide anything additional? Expired work permit, Letter of submission confirmation?
If I select no, my score drops below the CRS cut-off as it removes the 50 points for arranged employment.

I was excited to fill out my Permanent residence application tomorrow finally and was doing one last review of everything.

I am very confused as the deadline for my PR application submission is 14-Nov and ETA for the work-permit extension request is NOV-30. I:I(

Henryelims

Oct 25, 2022
My closed, Non-LMIA work permit expired in August 2022, and I applied for an extension on June 2022. Currently, I am on implied status as I didn't received the new decision on my request.
I received an ITA on Sep 14, 2022, and I arranged all documents. During the final review, I came across the question under the "Intended Work In Canada" Section. It asks, do you have a valid work permit?

Will the answer still be yes? If yes, do I need to provide anything additional? Expired work permit, Letter of submission confirmation?
If I select no, my score drops below the CRS cut-off as it removes the 50 points for arranged employment.

I was excited to fill out my Permanent residence application tomorrow finally and was doing one last review of everything.

I am very confused as the deadline for my PR application submission is 14-Nov and ETA for the work-permit extension request is NOV-30. I:I(
I believe you can say you have a work permit since your implied status is on a work permit. So you should be okay.
Also, I think you will still qualify for a bridging open work permit as well since you maintained status.

My advice is consult with an immigration lawyer quickly so you have the right information to proceed correctly.
Based on my experience, it's better to spend a couple hundred dollars than making a mistake that will cause you thousands of dollars and emotional instability.

bytenaija

Nov 11, 2019

I answered yes. Because Implied Status is same as continuing under the conditions of your work permit

spandita

Feb 18, 2022
I noticed, I never updated this forum. So here goes what I did, in case someone else stumbles upon this.

After posting here and reading replies, I researched the IRCC website more. As said by others, Implied status is as good as having WP and can go ahead with the PR application. The only change I made to my application is that I attached proof of my Implied status(Letter from CIC, and WP extension application fee receipt) in the LOE and explained my situation.

My PR application has been marked "Medical Passed" recently, so I believe they did the completeness check, and am at least a stage closer to the final decision.

I will update this thread. :)

Reactions: docmd23

Ram89

Star Member
Oct 5, 2018
I noticed, I never updated this forum. So here goes what I did, in case someone else stumbles upon this.

After posting here and reading replies, I researched the IRCC website more. As said by others, Implied status is as good as having WP and can go ahead with the PR application. The only change I made to my application is that I attached proof of my Implied status(Letter from CIC, and WP extension application fee receipt) in the LOE and explained my situation.

My PR application has been marked "Medical Passed" recently, so I believe they did the completeness check, and am at least a stage closer to the final decision.

I will update this thread. :)

appreciate you for updating us. I have this exact question.

did you claim job offer points as well? ( 50 points) lets say if we also claim 50 points - would they still accept implied status ? or should we deny ITA and then wait for WP to get approved?

bytenaija

Nov 11, 2019

did you claim job offer points as well? ( 50 points) lets say if we also claim 50 points - would they still accept implied status ? or should we deny ITA and then wait for WP to get approved?
They did for mine

spandita

Feb 18, 2022

You can accept the ITA. I claimed job points too as my employer had offered me a permanent job in Ontario itself. So I accepted ITA and claimed Job Offer points while being on implied status.

Recently I got my WP application approved, so I submitted my WP and got my case file updated via web form. I received an acknowledgment over email, that they had received my WP and have added it to my file for the PR officer to review in case he wants it. It's not a requirement by any means, but I just wanted to be proactive in case they needed it and then raise a request for me to submit WP.

ahmadmujahid

Feb 9, 2023
I got ITA in January, but my LMIA based work permit is expired last week, my employer already applied for lmia and he provided my lmia receipt so i can apply for Implied status today i recieved LMIA. so my question is. Can i accept ITA now or do i have to reject it because my lmia based work permit expired last week but recieved LMIA extension today.?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I got ITA in January, but my LMIA based work permit is expired last week, my employer already applied for lmia and he provided my lmia receipt so i can apply for Implied status today i recieved LMIA. so my question is. Can i accept ITA now or do i have to reject it because my lmia based work permit expired last week but recieved LMIA extension today.?
If your work permit expired last week, the you are out of status in Canada. You don't have implied status. You will be out of status until your new work permit is approved. You cannot apply for implied status today - it doesn't work that way. It's too late.

ahmadmujahid

Feb 9, 2023
If your work permit expired last week, the you are out of status in Canada. You don't have implied status. You will be out of status until your new work permit is approved. You cannot apply for implied status today - it doesn't work that way. It's too late.
I applied for the implied status before expiry of my work permit. the only thing is i received my LMIA postive extension from eployer today