+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can his wife apply for a work permit if she changes her mind?(previously, his wife did not apply for CSQ&PR together)

betterbetter

Star Member
Feb 6, 2023
Hi everyone,

I have a friend who encountered a problem and wanted to consult as below:

When he first applied through the Quebec RSWP immigration, his wife did not want to immigrate or go to Quebec. They discussed a plan at that time where only he and his child would apply for Quebec immigration, and he would take his child to work and study in Quebec, while his wife signed a declaration of not accompanying them.

After about one year, which was by the end of February of this year, their CSQ was approved and he also obtained a open work permit through PMI+, while his child obtained a study permit. They immediately submitted a PR application (current on processing) and planned to land in Quebec to start a new life in April.

Under his persuasion, his wife also applied a travel visa to come along and see for herself.
Through recent first-hand experience and communication, his wife has changed her mind and also hopes to stay in Quebec with the family.

Therefore, in this situation, his questions are:

1. Can his wife also immediately apply for a spouse work permit then she can stay with family?
(As he has a CSQ and an open work permit, I think his wife can apply a spouse open work permit, but there was a non-accompanying declaration before, will it have any impact? After all, she changed her mind after her landing )

2. If so, does his wife's need to applying for spousal sponsorship immigration and it would be wait until his and his child's PR applications are approved ?

Your comments are highly appreciated,

thanks!

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
Hi everyone,

I have a friend who encountered a problem and wanted to consult as below:

When he first applied through the Quebec RSWP immigration, his wife did not want to immigrate or go to Quebec. They discussed a plan at that time where only he and his child would apply for Quebec immigration, and he would take his child to work and study in Quebec, while his wife signed a declaration of not accompanying them.

After about one year, which was by the end of February of this year, their CSQ was approved and he also obtained a open work permit through PMI+, while his child obtained a study permit. They immediately submitted a PR application (current on processing) and planned to land in Quebec to start a new life in April.

Under his persuasion, his wife also applied a travel visa to come along and see for herself.
Through recent first-hand experience and communication, his wife has changed her mind and also hopes to stay in Quebec with the family.

Therefore, in this situation, his questions are:

1. Can his wife also immediately apply for a spouse work permit then she can stay with family?
(As he has a CSQ and an open work permit, I think his wife can apply a spouse open work permit, but there was a non-accompanying declaration before, will it have any impact? After all, she changed her mind after her landing )

2. If so, does his wife's need to applying for spousal sponsorship immigration and it would be wait until his and his child's PR applications are approved ?

Your comments are highly appreciated,

thanks!
I believe yes, she can apply for CSQ and at the same time, she can apply for the spousal open work permit

betterbetter

Star Member
Feb 6, 2023
Thanks!

She has missed the deadline to apply for the CSQ with her husband and child.
Her husband and child‘s CSQ and work permit was approved in February, and they have already submitted their PR application as well.

You mean she need apply CSQ and she can also apply for the spousal open work permit ?And how?

Doesn't she need to apply for CSQ when applying for a spouse work permit? I'm a bit confused ,sorry.

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
Thanks!

She has missed the deadline to apply for the CSQ with her husband and child.
Her husband and child‘s CSQ and work permit was approved in February, and they have already submitted their PR application as well.

You mean she need apply CSQ and she can also apply for the spousal open work permit ?And how?

Doesn't she need to apply for CSQ when applying for a spouse work permit? I'm a bit confused ,sorry.
Because his husband is working and hold a CSQ, they can use both options.

She can apply open work permit using Family members of WP holders who are Economic Class PR applicants or chosen by a province.
Please refer to https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/public-policy-competitiveness-economy/c49.html

For family class CSQ application, you may refer to https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/csq-for-family-class-sponsorship-application-spouse.605219/

Reactions: betterbetter

betterbetter

Star Member
Feb 6, 2023
Because his husband is working and hold a CSQ, they can use both options.

She can apply open work permit using Family members of WP holders who are Economic Class PR applicants or chosen by a province.
Please refer to https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/public-policy-competitiveness-economy/c49.html

For family class CSQ application, you may refer to https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/csq-for-family-class-sponsorship-application-spouse.605219/
Thanks,I will tell them about this detail reference and policy!