+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can future TA/RA payments be accepted as proof of funds in PhD Stream?

hamza.625

May 4, 2012
Hello,

I am a PhD student living in Ottawa, ON. I am in my third year of study now and therefore eligible to apply for permanent residence under Federal Skilled Worker PhD Stream. I don`t have enough money in my bank account but I get regular payments for my RA + TA duties. My question is - can I use my future RA + TA payments as proof of fund?

In the proof of funds page cic say that you don`t need to show proof of fund if `you are currently working or authorized to work in Canada`. Does RA / TA count as work?

Please help me out. I would be very grateful If anyone sheds some light on this issue.

Thanks,
Hamza

eammar

May 11, 2013
Yes, TA and RA are proof of fund, just send the university fund offer letter and your T4, T4A slips, and also mention the RA value in the letter of employment along with your duties from your supervisor.

hamza.625

May 4, 2012
Thanks. Do you know anyone who received positive reply from CIC showing future RA/TA payments as proof of fund?

obs35

Star Member
Mar 24, 2012
eammar said:
Yes, TA and RA are proof of fund, just send the university fund offer letter and your T4, T4A slips, and also mention the RA value in the letter of employment along with your duties from your supervisor.
I'm not sure about Phd stream but if it's anything like FSW program you can not. You have to have the money in the bank at time of application. What do you mean "future payments"? What if you get fired in the mean time? It's like me saying I'm gonna use proof of funds, which will be dated 6 months from now because in 6 months I'm gonna win the lottery....dahhhhh??????? hello???????

veri33

Star Member
Jul 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-06-2011
AOR Received.
01-10-2011
Med's Request
28-10-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
07-01-2014
obs35 said:
I'm not sure about Phd stream but if it's anything like FSW program you can not. You have to have the money in the bank at time of application. What do you mean "future payments"? What if you get fired in the mean time? It's like me saying I'm gonna use proof of funds, which will be dated 6 months from now because in 6 months I'm gonna win the lottery....dahhhhh??????? hello???????
ha,ha,ha..., you are correct. I like your analogy. +1 for you!

hamza.625

May 4, 2012
obs35 said:
:) There is a difference between lottery and RA contract. My superivisor can write me a letter saying she is going to pay me X amount of dollars as RA next year? For lottery, no one can write this for me .... except I guess ... kevin o leary ;D

obs35

Star Member
Mar 24, 2012
hamza.625 said:
:) There is a difference between lottery and RA contract. My superivisor can write me a letter saying she is going to pay me X amount of dollars as RA next year? For lottery, no one can write this for me .... except I guess ... kevin o leary ;D
Trust me, it's not going to work. You need to meet all requirements at the time of application, including proof of funds.

For a second, assuming what you say it's true, what if you get fired? What if you get sick and can not work? What if there are unexpected expenses? Do you think this makes sense and sounds logically? Do you think CIC will make these rules based on" future income? which is subject to change for many reasons? Think about it and let me know....It does not sound a bit logically, does it?