+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can friend hire me to work in her office?

novia0923

Aug 31, 2012
Hi there:

I am a naturopathic medicine student soon graduating from my school. I already know I can't apply for post-graduate work permit, so I am wondering, if my colleague, who wants to open a naturopathic clinic after she graduate, wants to hire me as an associate in her clinic - can she do that? or is there any requirement for her to give me a job offer (or pass LMO)?

Thanks so much for your time!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your friend needs to obtain an approved LMO before you can apply for a work permit. To get the LMO approved, she will have to prove that she advertised the job and was unable to find a Canadian to hire for the role. More information on LMOs here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/lmo-basics.asp

novia0923

Aug 31, 2012
Thank you so much for answering my question!
Just one more thing: if I get a temporary work permit, can I take a course at a private school if it will take for more than 6 months? I want to improve my skills while I am working, but I was told you can't have both work permit and study permit at the same time...

Thanks again for your time!

amira_mais

Aug 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
novia0923 said:
Just one more thing: if I get a temporary work permit, can I take a course at a private school if it will take for more than 6 months? I want to improve my skills while I am working, but I was told you can't have both work permit and study permit at the same time...

Hi, you'll need a study permit for courses of 6 months duration or more. Whether you have a work permit or a study permit, you're expected to engage in the activity full time. So CIC may wonder how you plan to do both simultaneously.

Hols

Star Member
Sep 25, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
6221-B
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AEO still processing
novia0923 said:

Hi I looked into this too however as amira mentions if you are TFW on a WP you are unable to go in to education only if you are a PR can you enrol for courses.

Good luck

Holly

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
novia0923 said:

You need a study permit if the course is longer than six months. So the short answer is no - you can't both.