+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can dependent still enter with Visitor Visa if PR sticker is stamped? Urgent!

Visitor89

Star Member
Dec 16, 2016
Hello guys, I recently got PPR for me and my wife(she lives in Brazil), I had her VO changed and it took us 4 days to do so..We have sent our passports to our VO.

I wasn't aware of the PR card process, that is not advised to leave till you get the PR card, therefore I had a Trip booked to USA. Its true that I need to land and I can use that trip to do so but that is on Nov 30th and my wife had a flight booked for her to come to Canada on Nov 16th.

My question is:
1) if I don't land before her and as she has a TRV and a Work permit stamp, can she still enter Canada using that ??
2) will they be canceled after she gets PR stamp on her passport?
3)can she use work permit to enter and show the tickets for USA and inform that we will do our landing that day? Can she be refused entry?

Please help!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) Yes - she can do that.
2) Yes - she should expect they will be canceled (if not in her passport then in they system).
3) Not sure I understand this question.

Visitor89

Star Member
Dec 16, 2016
I had a trip booked for us to go to the USA on 1st Dec but our PPR came recently, we sent our passports for stamping. She is in Brazil and im in Canada. The problem is she cant land until I do, and I think her old visas will now be canceled so she cant enter till I land. Now once i land i cant exit till i get the PR card. So I am not sure how to correct all of this. My understanding is that i will have to land first, then she lands and we wont be able to go to USA for that 1-week trip because we won't have our PR card to return.

Visitor89

Star Member
Dec 16, 2016
If you cross the USA/Canada border by car, you can use your COPR. The other option would be ask for a PRTD, but I think 1 week isn't time enough to process it.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10
I actually thought about this but I'm scared if something happens and I lose the PR, I'm an Indian Citizen and my wife is Brazilian, i hope being visa exempt or not doesn't matter in this case.

So we just drive up to the border and enter, the site says that's the way but I am too scared to try this. You think it will be ok?

diegohr

Sep 12, 2017
Should be fine to cross through the border by car just using your passport and COPR. The PR card is necessary for commercial lines. Maybe keep a copy of your COPR(although you need the original to cross the border), and if something happens, it will be easier to get in touch with Canadian Embassy in the USA and figure out the problem.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I had a trip booked for us to go to the USA on 1st Dec but our PPR came recently, we sent our passports for stamping. She is in Brazil and im in Canada. The problem is she cant land until I do, and I think her old visas will now be canceled so she cant enter till I land. Now once i land i cant exit till i get the PR card. So I am not sure how to correct all of this. My understanding is that i will have to land first, then she lands and we wont be able to go to USA for that 1-week trip because we won't have our PR card to return.
Yes, you (the Principal Applicant) either need to land first, or you land together.

You can certainly exit without the PR card. The issue is re-entering via commercial transport (e.g. air travel). You cannot board a flight to Canada without the PR card or other proof of valid status in Canada. And it is true that after you land it can take 3 months to receive your PR card (btw, do you have a Canadian address to give for the PR card).

Work arounds - If you land and then leave Canada before you get the PR Card -

1) you can apply for a "Permanent Resident Travel Document" - unfortunately, depending on your Visa office, that can take some time to process as well.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/travel-document/index.asp

2) you can enter via private vehicle at land crossings - e.g. drive from the USA to Canada - with your validated COPR.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10

Visitor89

Star Member
Dec 16, 2016
1) Yes - she can do that.
2) Yes - she should expect they will be canceled (if not in her passport then in they system).
3) Not sure I understand this question.
Helo scylla, i really need your advice. My wife got her passport and copr but i didnt. so i cusnt land and she has a flight booked for 14th. we bought it long back because of the work permit. Her VO didnt cancel her old visas (coz she didnt land yet)

My plan is now to let her board flight on basis of work permit and explain ti CBSA officer that she plans to land with me at a later date but before expiry of our COPR. Please advise if she will be allowed an entry and not denied?

She has a TRV, worker and immigrant sticker on her passport. I want her to use tourist or work permit and immigrant at a later day.

Please advise. thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Helo scylla, i really need your advice. My wife got her passport and copr but i didnt. so i cusnt land and she has a flight booked for 14th. we bought it long back because of the work permit. Her VO didnt cancel her old visas (coz she didnt land yet)

My plan is now to let her board flight on basis of work permit and explain ti CBSA officer that she plans to land with me at a later date but before expiry of our COPR. Please advise if she will be allowed an entry and not denied?

She has a TRV, worker and immigrant sticker on her passport. I want her to use tourist or work permit and immigrant at a later day.

Please advise. thanks
Your question has already been answered several times in more than one thread.