+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can controlled epilepsy be cause of medical inadmissibility ?

Aadi72

Jan 3, 2019
Hi,

I have recently applied for Canadian PR through Express Entry. I have epilepsy since childhood, but its well controlled. I've experienced only 5 seizures in my entire lifetime of 30 years. I am currently on medication and I am advised to be on medication by my neurologist to avoid any future seizures. Can I be denied under medical inadmissibility rule for causing excessive demand on Canadian healthcare ? I am sponsoring myself under skilled workers PR.

Thanks,

tejasmhaskar

Nov 15, 2015
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
12-10-2018
Sorry to hear about your condition buddy. Its good to hear that you have it under control with medication. Since, you are required to use these meds regularly, your admissibility will depend on how much these medicines will cost in Canada. The officer will evaluate whether the said medication would create excessive demand on the public healthcare system. For 2018, the new cost threshold is $99,060 over 5 years (or $19,812 per year). So, as long as your medication and/or treatment cost in Canada is below the said numbers, you are good to go!

Anithacan

Jun 19, 2020
Sorry to hear about your condition buddy. Its good to hear that you have it under control with medication. Since, you are required to use these meds regularly, your admissibility will depend on how much these medicines will cost in Canada. The officer will evaluate whether the said medication would create excessive demand on the public healthcare system. For 2018, the new cost threshold is $99,060 over 5 years (or $19,812 per year). So, as long as your medication and/or treatment cost in Canada is below the said numbers, you are good to go!
Hi, My Cousin is planning to process his PR where he will be the secondary applicant and his wife will be the primary. He is having epilepsy for the last 9 years right from 2011. He was getting seizures once in a year till 2015. Post which he has not experienced it till now. He is under medication and it costs around less than 300 INR per month. Kindly let me know whether he can proceed further or will it be a problem. Your response will be very helpful for him to decide on the Canada PR.

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
Hi, My Cousin is planning to process his PR where he will be the secondary applicant and his wife will be the primary. He is having epilepsy for the last 9 years right from 2011. He was getting seizures once in a year till 2015. Post which he has not experienced it till now. He is under medication and it costs around less than 300 INR per month. Kindly let me know whether he can proceed further or will it be a problem. Your response will be very helpful for him to decide on the Canada PR.
If the cost of management is less than the threshold, he is likely to be passed.

Titanium

Mar 9, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
AOR Received.
October 2019
If he has been incident free for 5 years it should not impact the medical greatly. Let not be a reason to hold him back. Everything happens at the right time and right place.

Anithacan

Jun 19, 2020
If he has been incident free for 5 years it should not impact the medical greatly. Let not be a reason to hold him back. Everything happens at the right time and right place.
Yes sir, He doesn't have this incident for the last 5 years. We decided to proceed with his PR process..