+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can B1 visitor apply for Canadian Visitor visa, while in US ?

abhi101

Jul 2, 2014
Hi,

I am in Seattle on H1b and my Father-in-law is visiting us on B1 visa. Being close to Canadian border, we are planning to make him visit in Canada part as well. My questions are -
1- Can he apply for Canada visitor visa, while in US ? Processing time in India is 37 days and he is travelling to US in less than 37 days, so I can not apply his visa from India.
2- If it can be applied, he will need to give his passport to Canadian authority. Is it ok for him to stay without passport in US during that duration ?

Please suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

Your father-in-law can apply online..... under the CAN+ program.... so he won't have to submit his passport until he gets a passport request.

It is better if he applies with an India residence address ie as if he is applying from India because he can prove his ties to India. He will be a visitor in the US ie weak ties.

If approved, he can submit his passport to the NY/LA VAC for visa stamping

Cheers

Reactions: mirahe94

abhi101

Jul 2, 2014
Thanks Bryanna.
Visitor visa processing time in India showing as 37 days, which would be possible in this case, as he is travelling in next 20 days. Is CAN+ program (if different from regular visitor visa) having same processing time ?
If Yes, then I will have no choice, except applying here in US, once he reaches.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

CAN+ could mean faster processing time with fewer financial documents for submission.

The TRV form is the same for CAN+ but you must clearly state you are applying under CAN+..... scan the US visa + entry/exit stamps of any previous US visit in the last 10 years.

Perhaps, you did not understand my suggestion in my previous post. If you apply online, your father-in'law does NOT have to submit his passport, in India, along with the visa application.

He can apply online while in India..... then travel to the US.... while his visa app is being processed.

Even if he gets a passport request when he is in India (ie within the next 15 days)..... he can still submit his passport for stamping in the US within 30 days of the passport request. He does NOT have to submit his passport to a India VAC for visa stamping

Cheers

abhi101

Jul 2, 2014
<<... scan the US visa + entry/exit stamps of any previous US visit in the last 10 years.>> He has not visited US or Canada ever.

Still he should be apply while in India and fly to US and when passport is requested, he can submit it here in US ? I hope, I am understand it correctly ?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yes. He can.

Do submit an online TRV application under CAN+..... while he is in India..... with an India address as his ties to India are stronger than those when he is in the US as a visitor.

It is possible (and has been done) to apply in Country A.... and submit the passport for visa stamping when in Country B

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
You're welcome.

Do check this link (especially for Visa Office instructions):
http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/information/applications/visa.asp?countrySelect=IN#applications

abhi101

Jul 2, 2014
Hi again,

I was going through visitor visa form here - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5257E.PDF
Where should I mention that it should be CAN+ visa (instead of regular visitor visa) ? I don't see any such field on this form.

<<If approved, we will be asked to submit our passport to VAC for visa stamping>> . When will I have option to choose VAC center, considering that we will apply it in India, but will submit passport in US (Seattle) ?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

1. The TRV form is the same for CAN+. You must scan the US visa + state in the cover letter that you are applying under CAN+

2. You'll have to write to the LA visa office when you get a passport request..... and then follow the instructions in this link: https://www.csc-cvac.com/en-US/selfservice/cvac_application_centres

Cheers