+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can attending a post-secondary program in English be used a language proof BEFORE completion of program?

mghicho

Star Member
Mar 8, 2017
Hi,

My partner is in a graduate program in a Canadian University. She hasn't completed her program yet so she doesn't have the degree.

In this link:
Find out if you have the language proof for citizenship: Step 1 - Canada.ca

it asks
Did you or do you attend a secondary or post-secondary program in English or French?
technically, her answer to this question would be yes, it then asks for diploma, transcript, or certificate.

She doesn't have diploma or certificate yet but she can request a transcript.
Obviously, she had to take a TOEFL exam back in 2016 before being admitted to the school but TOEFL is not recognized by CIC as far as I now.

Can she use the transcript alone for the language proof or does she need to take an IELTS exam?

Marvin23

Oct 11, 2020
Hi,

My partner is in a graduate program in a Canadian University. She hasn't completed her program yet so she doesn't have the degree.

In this link:
Find out if you have the language proof for citizenship: Step 1 - Canada.ca

it asks
Did you or do you attend a secondary or post-secondary program in English or French?
technically, her answer to this question would be yes, it then asks for diploma, transcript, or certificate.

She doesn't have diploma or certificate yet but she can request a transcript.
Obviously, she had to take a TOEFL exam back in 2016 before being admitted to the school but TOEFL is not recognized by CIC as far as I now.

Can she use the transcript alone for the language proof or does she need to take an IELTS exam?

Hello,
I hope things are doing well with you and your partner. I just saw your post and realized I'm in the same situation with your partner as a current graduate student in a Canadian university. I'm not sure if submitting a transcript will work, as I have not graduated and cannot provide a degree. How is your partner's citizenship application going? Did her transcript work for the application? Thank you.

mghicho

Star Member
Mar 8, 2017
Hello,
I hope things are doing well with you and your partner. I just saw your post and realized I'm in the same situation with your partner as a current graduate student in a Canadian university. I'm not sure if submitting a transcript will work, as I have not graduated and cannot provide a degree. How is your partner's citizenship application going? Did her transcript work for the application? Thank you.
She ended just taking a CELPIP test. there is a version with listening and speaking tests only. that is enough for citizenship.