+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can applicants enter and leave Canada with outland spousal application

JP23

Jan 22, 2023
I am currently a US citizen and my significant other is a Canadian citizen. We both live close to the border (approx 25miles from each other). I plan on moving to Canada to live with her but would want to continue to work in the US. If we applied for the outland sponsorship, would I be able to frequently cross the border during the application process?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am currently a US citizen and my significant other is a Canadian citizen. We both live close to the border (approx 25miles from each other). I plan on moving to Canada to live with her but would want to continue to work in the US. If we applied for the outland sponsorship, would I be able to frequently cross the border during the application process?
The short answer to this question is that there is no issue leaving Canada on an outland application, however an outland application doesn't give you "in and out" rights in terms of traveling to Canada. Whether you are allowed into Canada each time will be entirely up to CBSA. I'll be honest. This approach is risky (especially if you plan weekly or more frequent travel) and it's possible you may encounter issues. My husband is American and we took this approach when I sponsored him (although with less frequent travel than what it sounds like you have planned). He was occasionally questions at the border and there was one time when we almost had a problem where we thought he may be denied entry. The challenge you face is that you are not allowed to "live" in Canada until you are a PR. All you can do is visit. If you are a frequent commuter, this makes it pretty clear you are in fact living in Canada. It's possible CBSA may tell you at some point that you can't be doing this and essentially deny entry. There's no clear answer to this situation and no guarantee you'll be able to do this. Might work or might not. The outland application does not give you the right to do this.

JP23

Jan 22, 2023
Thank you for the information. Typically I visit for the weekend and then the following weekend my partner visits me in the states. Is there a different application that is more appropriate we should be looking into?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for the information. Typically I visit for the weekend and then the following weekend my partner visits me in the states. Is there a different application that is more appropriate we should be looking into?
Ah - OK. In that case you should be fine. You will still be living in the US. Your original post made it sound like you were going to be moving to Canada and then commuting to the US for work.

The outland application is the right application. There is no application that gives you the right to enter Canada. You'll only have that right once you are a PR.

AyodejiA

Star Member
Aug 11, 2019
Hello friends,

I need an advice on a matter!
My sister from Nigeria married a canadian citizen last year and put in application for visitor's visa. The application was approved and the visa was stamped for just 3 months (Multipe Entry - Jan to Mar). The original plan was for her to come into canada and put in for inland application, will this plan still work considering the visa is justf for 3 months..

Advice needed!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello friends,

I need an advice on a matter!
My sister from Nigeria married a canadian citizen last year and put in application for visitor's visa. The application was approved and the visa was stamped for just 3 months (Multipe Entry - Jan to Mar). The original plan was for her to come into canada and put in for inland application, will this plan still work considering the visa is justf for 3 months..

Advice needed!
Once she is in Canada, she can apply to extend her stay. It seems to be routinely granted for those who have PR spousal sponsorships in process.

A warning, admission at airport is still subject to CBSA discretion - in simple terms, she should not show up with all her worldly possessions, but be arriving for a visit.