+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can anyone answer these Qs I have about applying to the new FSW program??

waxweasel

Star Member
Jul 29, 2011
Hello,

I am trying to get myself into position to submit an application to the FSW program when it re-opens on May 4, but am having some difficulty finding answers to the main questions I have right now. Can anyone here answer these for me? OR point be in the right direction to find some answers?

This is what I am trying to find out :

1) I am an Australian citizen applying to the FSW program from Australia. Do I still need to take the IELTS test and submit results? Even if English is my mother-tongue and I have lived in Aus for 30 years?

1b)... If the answer to 1) is yes, then which IELTS test should I take: 'Academic' or 'General' ? Can I submit whichever one I want to? Will it make any difference if I just submit whichever version is available to take at the time I go to the testing centre?

2) Have they announced which org.s are carrying out the independent "education verifications"? If not, does anyone know when they will announce this? And how long the turn around might take for my education credentials to be evaluated? or can I just go ahead and choose my own org out there to do this? Should I be getting my high school diploma "verified" AND my university degree verified too?
>> I will be really shocked if someone says they STILL have not announced anything, as the FSW program is opening in less than 12 weeks now...

3) Can my "1-year of skilled work experience in the past 10 years" be in the form of 2 years part-time skilled work? If so, what is the minimum average hours per week (over 2 years) that I would need to have worked part-time in order to qualify as full-time equivalent?

4) If I speak lower-intermediate level French, should I bother trying to get any testing done to prove that too? (and shelling out more hundreds of $$ for that).. I mean, if I am already submitting IELTS results, would this be a bit of a waste? Would I get any additional points for speaking a lower-intermediate level of a second official language?

5) Have they announced the quota for number of FSW applications being accepted in 2013?

6) Are the application forms for the FSW program available NOW? If so, where can I get them/download them from right now? If not, then when will they become available?

7) Will having lived in Canada for 2.5 years (2008- late 2010) count towards my "adaptability points" ?

8.) Would any medicals needed need to be done before I submit the application (and the results submitted as part of the application)? Or are the medicals done down the line, after the application is approved?

Those are my main pressing (VERY PRESSING) concerns right now!

Can anyone here help to shed any light on any of these questions?
PLEASE HELP!! Will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

I'm starting to feel really stressed now, as it's under 12 weeks now until the FSW program re-opens, and I have not yet done one single thing in preparation. yikes! I really want to be completely ready and prepared to submit everything on day one.
cheers guys!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'll help you with a few.

1) IELTS is mandatory. No IELTS = automatic refusal.
1b) Only general is accepted.
2) Not announced yet to the best of my knowledge.
4) Only if you need the points to qualify.
5) Not announced yet.

barney

Jan 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
waxweasel said:
Hello waxweasel, I'll make an attempt to answer some of your queries. Please find my response in Purple. Hope it is helpful.

Hello,

I am trying to get myself into position to submit an application to the FSW program when it re-opens on May 4, but am having some difficulty finding answers to the main questions I have right now. Can anyone here answer these for me? OR point be in the right direction to find some answers?

This is what I am trying to find out :

1) I am an Australian citizen applying to the FSW program from Australia. Do I still need to take the IELTS test and submit results? Even if English is my mother-tongue and I have lived in Aus for 30 years? Yes, General Training IELTS version

1b)... If the answer to 1) is yes, then which IELTS test should I take: 'Academic' or 'General' ? Can I submit whichever one I want to? Will it make any difference if I just submit whichever version is available to take at the time I go to the testing centre? Academic version is not accepted

2) Have they announced which org.s are carrying out the independent "education verifications"? If not, does anyone know when they will announce this? And how long the turn around might take for my education credentials to be evaluated? or can I just go ahead and choose my own org out there to do this? Should I be getting my high school diploma "verified" AND my university degree verified too?
>> I will be really shocked if someone says they STILL have not announced anything, as the FSW program is opening in less than 12 weeks now...
Not yet. So, other applicants are also on the same boat. As per my understanding, post schooling certifications are to be assessed. Your highest qualification should definitely be assessed. The reason for assessment is to make it easier for employers to understand your qualifications against Canadian educational standards, improving your chances to find jobs in your area of specialization as soon as you reach Canada. credentials.gc.ca is the website to be followed on that matter.

3) Can my "1-year of skilled work experience in the past 10 years" be in the form of 2 years part-time skilled work? If so, what is the minimum average hours per week (over 2 years) that I would need to have worked part-time in order to qualify as full-time equivalent? I remember it reading as minimum 1 year full time and not part time. Unfortunately, I don't have any links to where I read the same.

4) If I speak lower-intermediate level French, should I bother trying to get any testing done to prove that too? (and shelling out more hundreds of $$ for that).. I mean, if I am already submitting IELTS results, would this be a bit of a waste? Would I get any additional points for speaking a lower-intermediate level of a second official language? If you fall short of required points by any chance, this second official language knowledge can save you with some additional points. You may look at the new point distribution in the following link: newroots.ca/new_independent.htm

5) Have they announced the quota for number of FSW applications being accepted in 2013? Not as of now. Even the eligible NOCs are not announced yet!

6) Are the application forms for the FSW program available NOW? If so, where can I get them/download them from right now? If not, then when will they become available? Forms are available online at cic.gc.ca. Use the guides provided in the same website to fill the forms. Make sure you are referring to the correct guide.

7) Will having lived in Canada for 2.5 years (2008- late 2010) count towards my "adaptability points" ? Having lived in Canada will not earn points. But, if you have worked or studied there will earn you points. Refer to the chart provided in 'newroots'

8.) Would any medicals needed need to be done before I submit the application (and the results submitted as part of the application)? Or are the medicals done down the line, after the application is approved? Medicals are done at a later stage for FSW applicants and will be instructed by your visa office.

Those are my main pressing (VERY PRESSING) concerns right now!

Can anyone here help to shed any light on any of these questions?
PLEASE HELP!! Will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

I'm starting to feel really stressed now, as it's under 12 weeks now until the FSW program re-opens, and I have not yet done one single thing in preparation. yikes! I really want to be completely ready and prepared to submit everything on day one.
cheers guys!

waxweasel

Star Member
Jul 29, 2011
Hey guys,
thanks so much for the info.

Another few questions I have...

1) Do my General IELTS test results need to be transmitted to CIC from the testing centre here in Australia, or do I just get the certificate and results and submit a copy of it along with my FSW visa app?

2) When is the new selection criteria for the FSW and the points allocated for each category going to be formally announced on CIC's website? The opening day for the FSW program is only 9 weeks away now....

3) Are the application forms available on CIC's website for the new 2013 FSW program or are they the old forms?

4)how much longer do we all have to wait to find out where/how we can have our education credentials verified? I'm assuming this is going to take a few weeks in processing time, and 9 weeks out from the program's opening day and still no announcements??

Thanks again guys!

waxweasel

Star Member
Jul 29, 2011
Thanks for all the great answers Barney!

Just 2 further points I have to a couple of those questions:

barney said:
3) Can my "1-year of skilled work experience in the past 10 years" be in the form of 2 years part-time skilled work? If so, what is the minimum average hours per week (over 2 years) that I would need to have worked part-time in order to qualify as full-time equivalent? I remember it reading as minimum 1 year full time and not part time. Unfortunately, I don't have any links to where I read the same.

7) Will having lived in Canada for 2.5 years (2008- late 2010) count towards my "adaptability points" ? Having lived in Canada will not earn points. But, if you have worked or studied there will earn you points. Refer to the chart provided in 'newroots'

re: q.3)

>>> I assumed that with all CIC requirements in all programs (from what I have seen and read) that anywhere where there is a pre-requisite for X-amount of years full-time experience for something or other, that the part-time equivalent would always apply too (?)

re: q.7)

I worked in Canada (in what was previously considered a skilled job on the NOC - I can't seem to find the new code for it now though) for 2 years, but with only part-time hours. So I'm hoping that would be considered as 1-year full-time equivalent, as I haven't had much other skilled work in the last 10 years...

Also.. do you know what the minimum annual part-time hours are (x 2 years) for it to be equivalent to 1-year full-time?

cheers mate,

WW

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
waxweasel said:
Thanks for all the great answers Barney!

Just 2 further points I have to a couple of those questions:

>>> I assumed that with all CIC requirements in all programs (from what I have seen and read) that anywhere where there is a pre-requisite for X-amount of years full-time experience for something or other, that the part-time equivalent would always apply too (?)
part-time will work too but it has to be continuous work for at least one year of full-time equivalent. For the new FSW, they are changing their full time work as 30 hours per week (from 37.5 hours per week previously).

I worked in Canada (in what was previously considered a skilled job on the NOC - I can't seem to find the new code for it now though) for 2 years, but with only part-time hours. So I'm hoping that would be considered as 1-year full-time equivalent, as I haven't had much other skilled work in the last 10 years...

Also.. do you know what the minimum annual part-time hours are (x 2 years) for it to be equivalent to 1-year full-time?
If you consider my answer to the previous question, you would have to work at least (52x30 = )1560 hours total to claim one year full-time equivalent of work experience. It used to be 1950 hours previously.

It might be helpful for you to read the following link. It has all the proposed changes to FSW.
\http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2012/2012-08-18/html/reg2-eng.html

cheers mate,

WW

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
waxweasel said:
Hey guys,
thanks so much for the info.

Another few questions I have...

1) Do my General IELTS test results need to be transmitted to CIC from the testing centre here in Australia, or do I just get the certificate and results and submit a copy of it along with my FSW visa app?
CIC only accepts the certificate. It doesn't directly access scores from the testing center.

2) When is the new selection criteria for the FSW and the points allocated for each category going to be formally announced on CIC's website? The opening day for the FSW program is only 9 weeks away now....
Refer to the link I provided above for all the proposed changes and point scheme for the new FSW. As to when CIC will formally announce that those proposed changes are final, noone knows! Hopefully before they start accepting applications!

3) Are the application forms available on CIC's website for the new 2013 FSW program or are they the old forms?
They are for the current applicants. They should at some point, closer to May, update their info to include new application forms and guidelines.

4)how much longer do we all have to wait to find out where/how we can have our education credentials verified? I'm assuming this is going to take a few weeks in processing time, and 9 weeks out from the program's opening day and still no announcements??
Minister Kenny has said that CIC will announce the list of designated ECA agencies and qualifying NOC list in April. But I won't be surprised if they keep pushing the date of announcement till the very end!

Thanks again guys!

obaied

Dec 7, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dear waxweasel,

i am really surprised to see u as an Australian going to Apply for FSWP in May.
r u not from visa exempt countries?

What is the reason behind to move Canada could u explain for me? in fact, i would like to move either of these two countries/

however, i would like to add some more information which u will need with ur application

Birth Certificate ( Principle Applicants, children, spouse)
Passports ( PA, children, Spouse)
IELIS GT (both of U, spouse and PA)
PCC both of U from AUS and u need one from Canada if ur spouse lived that time with u then her/him as well
ECA only for u
Reference letter from ur employer past and presents
Marriage certificate or similar legal paper
Proof of funds it depend how many u all together

these information might help u

pl share ur update

tx

waxweasel

Star Member
Jul 29, 2011
namaste said:

part-time will work too but it has to be continuous work for at least one year of full-time equivalent. For the new FSW, they are changing their full time work as 30 hours per week (from 37.5 hours per week previously).

If you consider my answer to the previous question, you would have to work at least (52x30 = )1560 hours total to claim one year full-time equivalent of work experience. It used to be 1950 hours previously.

It might be helpful for you to read the following link. It has all the proposed changes to FSW.
\http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2012/2012-08-18/html/reg2-eng.html

Thanks for the great info Namaste! Much appreciated mate!

And 3 more quickies...

1. so, I'm assuming if full-time is 30hours p/week, then equivalent part-time will be 15 hours x 52 x 2years ??
And is it based on 52 weeks or 48 or 50? Because no-one works every week of the year...
And would 2-years equivalent part-time (ie. 1560 hours total over 2 years) be sufficient to be accepted as 1 year full-time in this case ?

2.Also, a lot of the links you provided are to "proposed" changes to the FSW, not to changes that are actually official or have been formally announced... So I'm just wondering when exactly CIC is going to announce that these proposed changes are actually official?

3.And do you know what the minimum IELTS scores are for each band, in order to gain Maximum point for first official language?

Again, thanks so much for the info

ps. Do you honestly believe that everything will be announced/formalised/ready for people to actually submit everything ON May 4th? Or do you think that CIC will only release details/forms/etc by May 4th, so that people will still need some time from May 4th to organise everything to be submitted shortly after?
In your opinion...

waxweasel

Star Member
Jul 29, 2011
obaied said:
dear waxweasel,

i am really surprised to see u as an Australian going to Apply for FSWP in May.
r u not from visa exempt countries? I am from a visa exempt country to visit Canada. But I can't just pack up and move there permanently just because I feel like it. All countries have immigration laws

What is the reason behind to move Canada could u explain for me? in fact, i would like to move either of these two countries/ I love Canada more than Australia. That's the simple answer. I lived there for 3 years, and the country and people are more preferable to me than my own

however, i would like to add some more information which u will need with ur application

Birth Certificate ( Principle Applicants, children, spouse)
Passports ( PA, children, Spouse)
IELIS GT (both of U, spouse and PA)
PCC both of U from AUS and u need one from Canada if ur spouse lived that time with u then her/him as well I'm not sure what PCC is?
ECA only for u I'm not sure what ECA is ?[/color]
Reference letter from ur employer past and presents What if I have had numerous - dozens - of different jobs for brief periods over the last 10 years.. how would that work then ?
Marriage certificate or similar legal paper
Proof of funds it depend how many u all together

these information might help u

pl share ur update

tx
Thanks for all the other info. cheers!

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
waxweasel said:
Thanks for the great info Namaste! Much appreciated mate!

And 3 more quickies...

1. so, I'm assuming if full-time is 30hours p/week, then equivalent part-time will be 15 hours x 52 x 2years ??
And is it based on 52 weeks or 48 or 50? Because no-one works every week of the year...
And would 2-years equivalent part-time (ie. 1560 hours total over 2 years) be sufficient to be accepted as 1 year full-time in this case ?
I am not exactly sure about how many weeks they use for calculation, but I think its 52 because previously, the hours requirement was 1950 hours one year (when 37.5 hours/week was considered full time). Anyways, if you have 1560 hours, it should be good enough for you to get one year of full-time equivalent work experience. But remember that the part time experience (or full time) has to be CONTINUOUS without any break between jobs if you have multiple jobs.

2.Also, a lot of the links you provided are to "proposed" changes to the FSW, not to changes that are actually official or have been formally announced... So I'm just wondering when exactly CIC is going to announce that these proposed changes are actually official?
Noone knows for sure really. Hopefully when they give list of ECA (education credential assessment) agencies and qualifying NOC list in April (as recently announced)

3.And do you know what the minimum IELTS scores are for each band, in order to gain Maximum point for first official language?
I think if you can score at least 8 in each of the category of IELTS, you should get maximum points. Although the requirement in certain sections might be slightly lower. I am not exactly sure on that.

Again, thanks so much for the info

ps. Do you honestly believe that everything will be announced/formalised/ready for people to actually submit everything ON May 4th? Or do you think that CIC will only release details/forms/etc by May 4th, so that people will still need some time from May 4th to organise everything to be submitted shortly after?
In your opinion...
I actually don't believe that people will be ready on May 4th for submission. CIC hasn't really announced the details yet. They are set to do so in April, but with CIC nothing is set in stone until it happens. Getting your educational credential assessed is a major hurdle since it will take some time (at least a month). So, if CIC releases the list of ECA agencies sometime in April as they have said they will, then there might not be enough time for people to get their credential assessed in time for May 4th submission.

As for your other questions,
PCC: Police certificates, CIC recommends you send it with the application but you can send it later too.
ECA: Education credential assessment, which needs to be done by agencies that CIC will designate (in April)
Different jobs: the only way of getting points for work experience or meeting the work experience requirement is providing an experience letter from each of the employers. The letters should mention the hours/week and total amount of time you worked with them, your pay, and a detailed job description. Without this info, CIC will not consider your work experience.