+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can anybody help interpreting this sentence?

lukechen

Mar 7, 2008
I am from Asia and will go to Canada this Fall pursuing my Ph.D. Meanwhile I want to submit my immigration application as a skilled worker. I am thinking of submitting my application to Buffalo Visa Office since the application processing speed there is much faster than that of my country.

I found the following regulation from CIC website regarding where to submit the application. It says "An application for a permanent resident visa — other than an application for a permanent resident visa made under Part 8 — must be made to the immigration office that serves (a) the country where the applicant is residing, if the applicant has been lawfully admitted to that country for a period of at least one year".

I am not a native English speaker and I got particularly confused by the clause "if the applicant has been lawfully admitted to that country for a period of at least one year". Does it mean "the effective length of the granted admission is at least one year (e.g., as a Ph.D. student, they will probably admit me for a period of 4 years)", or "after being admitted, the applicant has already stayed in Canada for at least one year"?

Thanks for helping on clarifying this!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

lukechen said:
I am from Asia and will go to Canada this Fall pursuing my Ph.D. Meanwhile I want to submit my immigration application as a skilled worker. I am thinking of submitting my application to Buffalo Visa Office since the application processing speed there is much faster than that of my country.

I found the following regulation from CIC website regarding where to submit the application. It says "An application for a permanent resident visa — other than an application for a permanent resident visa made under Part 8 — must be made to the immigration office that serves (a) the country where the applicant is residing, if the applicant has been lawfully admitted to that country for a period of at least one year".

I am not a native English speaker and I got particularly confused by the clause "if the applicant has been lawfully admitted to that country for a period of at least one year". Does it mean "the effective length of the granted admission is at least one year (e.g., as a Ph.D. student, they will probably admit me for a period of 4 years)", or "after being admitted, the applicant has already stayed in Canada for at least one year"?

If your study permit is for 1 year or more when issued at the Port of Entry on arrival, then you have the option of applying to Buffalo. If you don't have a US visa , you should think carefully about applying to Buffalo. Also the posted time frames would not reflect that Buffalo would have liaise with the CHC in your home country, which will lengthen the processing time.

PMM

lukechen

Mar 7, 2008
PMM said:
Hi

lukechen said:

If your study permit is for 1 year or more when issued at the Port of Entry on arrival, then you have the option of applying to Buffalo. If you don't have a US visa , you should think carefully about applying to Buffalo. Also the posted time frames would not reflect that Buffalo would have liaise with the CHC in your home country, which will lengthen the processing time.

PMM
Hi PMM,

Thanks for your help! So from what you described, the first type of my understanding seems to be correct. That is - as long as my study permit is longer than 1 year, I can apply to Buffalo immediately after I come to Canada (instead of having to live in Canada for one year). Is this correct?

But I am not sure why I would need to have a US visa - is it because I need a US visa so that I can go to Buffalo for an interview or pick up my PR card?

Thanks a lot!

Luke

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

lukechen said:
PMM said:
Hi

lukechen said:

PMM
Hi PMM,

Thanks for your help! So from what you described, the first type of my understanding seems to be correct. That is - as long as my study permit is longer than 1 year, I can apply to Buffalo immediately after I come to Canada (instead of having to live in Canada for one year). Is this correct?

But I am not sure why I would need to have a US visa - is it because I need a US visa so that I can go to Buffalo for an interview or pick up my PR card?

Thanks a lot!

Luke
1. If you are admitted for a year, you could apply to Buffalo 5 minutes after admission.
2. If you are required to attend an interview, it would be in the US.

PMM

lukechen

Mar 7, 2008
PMM said:
Hi

lukechen said:
PMM said:
Hi

lukechen said:

PMM
Hi PMM,

Thanks a lot!

Luke
1. If you are admitted for a year, you could apply to Buffalo 5 minutes after admission.
2. If you are required to attend an interview, it would be in the US.

PMM
Hi PMM,

Thanks!