+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can an OINP candidate work remotely for a job in a different state ?

PDixit

Oct 2, 2021
Hi All,

We are OINP candidates and recently we've completed our inter-company transfer process, where I (secondary applicant) will be joining our Toronto office and my wife (primary applicant) will join the Montreal office.
But we will be doing it totally WFH and it is a remote job, and we will be staying in Toronto only.

I have a doubt, that when we are OINP candidates, are we allowed to work for our corporate branch that's in Montreal, Quebec and continue living in Ontario province ?

Will it cause any issues at the time of Citizenship application or even at the time of PR issue ?

Thanks

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Hi All,

We are OINP candidates and recently we've completed our inter-company transfer process, where I (secondary applicant) will be joining our Toronto office and my wife (primary applicant) will join the Montreal office.
But we will be doing it totally WFH and it is a remote job, and we will be staying in Toronto only.

I have a doubt, that when we are OINP candidates, are we allowed to work for our corporate branch that's in Montreal, Quebec and continue living in Ontario province ?

Will it cause any issues at the time of Citizenship application or even at the time of PR issue ?

Thanks
The point of the PNP program is to live and support the economy of the province that nominated you.

So yes it will be an issue. Saskatchewan recently told me they wouldn't let me maintain my SINP nomination if I switched jobs to work for an Ontario employer (someone was trying to headhunt me with a large salary), even if it was remote. However, the issue with my situation was that the Ontario employer had no Saskatchewan office, which if they did may have been okay.

Your situation is more complicated though, it sounds like your employer has branches in ON & QC, but the nuance is that your wife is working for the QC office. Do your employment contracts list that your place of work (despite it being remote) is Ontario? If so I think it should be okay, but if your contract states Ontario and her's Quebec, then I think that's a problem.