+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can an International student start a private business while studying?

mnassar

Star Member
Nov 19, 2007
Hello Everyone,

I have a friend who is studying photography in 2nd year at sheridan college, ontario, and now he wants to open his own studio in canada, so is he eligible to switch his status inorder to start his business and stay in canada legally as a permenant res. ? if yes, wats required?

PMM or any1 who has some sort of experience in these types of situations, plz answer.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mnassar said:
Hello Everyone,

I have a friend who is studying photography in 2nd year at sheridan college, ontario, and now he wants to open his own studio in canada, so is he eligible to switch his status inorder to start his business and stay in canada legally as a permenant res. ? if yes, wats required?

PMM or any1 who has some sort of experience in these types of situations, plz answer.

Nope, he can't do it as a student. If he gets a post grad work permit, he can be self employed, but it is unlikely to lead to Permanent Residence.

PMM

Diferentmed

Sep 17, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are a student and managing your private business, it gives you a distinct advantage in the highly competitive job market. The home venture that you set up while studying at university can turn into a real business enterprise later. Let your student days be the groundwork for sharpening your business abilities.You will learn about cash flow management, marketing and managerial skills. At the same time you can later, if you wish, take up a corporate position since any employer will recognize and value the skills that you have developed. Although when people normally get the taste of business management, the normally do not tend to work for others.
Many universities encourage their students to develop their entrepreneurial ideas and often there is a good support system for setting up a private business. You might want to find out if your college has appointed anyone that can help you with this.You should consult and take guidance from other successful student-entrepreneurs. This will help you gain not only the start up experience but it will also translate your business ideas into real entrepreneurial programs. If you have a burning interest in some hobby, think of cultivating it and converting it into a concrete business plan.However, a diligent student can manage it. It may be difficult initially but you will get used to it. You will be able to know how much time you have to spend on business and when you have to pay attention to your university course.

Maria Perry

Oct 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The major requirement to start private business in Canada is the work permit. You must have the work permit first.

Differentmed

Sep 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As a general rule, anyone who is not a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident must have a Work Permit for all work in Canada. Normally, under the Foreign Worker Regulations, an employer has to prove that there are no qualified Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents suitable for the position. This is done through the HRSDC (Human Resources and Skill Development Canada) labour market opinion and confirmation process. However, there are some special exemptions which apply to international students.

Wedding

May 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As when winter quarter has just started at Chicago Booth and as most of my classmates are hunkering down for a Chicago winter I have just arrived in Hong Kong with 6 of my Booth classmates. We are here for a 3 month long International Business Exchange Program (IBEP) at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST). Classes start this week and I’m excited to break into a new routine and a pretty eclectic set of Asia focused business courses.

Carpet

Sep 14, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Although international exposure was very important to me, it was equally important that I didn’t miss out on the full Booth experience. The quarter system at Chicago meant that instead of missing 1/4 of the MBA program, as I would have if we were on semesters, I would be away for just 1/6 of my MBA. Booth’s flexible curriculum also supported this goal. The ability to take the classes I wanted, when I wanted, meant that I could plan my schedule around the IBEP program and not miss any of the classes I was interested in.

Digital5

Jul 11, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
International students who hold a valid Study Permit may look for and accept employment on-campus provided they are in attendance and registered as full-time students at the post-secondary institution where the employment will take place. In this case, a Work Permit is NOT required

NavedAudio

Sep 14, 2011
I was looking for was a strong international business component. Prior to school I had been working in Beijing, China for a little over two years with a private equity firm. During this time, I came to fully appreciate the importance of “emerging” markets for small US companies and international conglomerates alike. This experience highlighted the importance for me to pick an MBA that could offer significant international opportunities.

singhabhishek251

Jun 3, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would just like to add a clear idea to this that unless you have a regular work permit and a residence address you can not apply for any company registration. After getting a permanent job and some residence address with some agreement signed with the owner, you can apply for registering a company. But it is also suggested that you can work as a freelancer and provide your services as a freelancer in your current status.