+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can AI usage for drafting the LOE cause misrepresentation?

Markus Gillian

Oct 20, 2021
I used chat gpt for drafting my LOE while, all the infomation provided is truthful and accurate and depicts my own thoughts. All of the content is plagiarism free but some content shows ai detection?
Will it considered as misrepresentation ?
I have a question that should i raise the web form to IRCC that i used AI to assist my LOE ? @Naturgrl & @scylla

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I used chat gpt for drafting my LOE while, all the infomation provided is truthful and accurate and depicts my own thoughts. All of the content is plagiarism free but some content shows ai detection?
Will it considered as misrepresentation ?
I have a question that should i raise the web form to IRCC that i used AI to assist my LOE ? @Naturgrl & @scylla
Not misrepresentation but I would go back after LOE has been written to make it appear less like AI created it an more like a person wrote it

Reactions: architgarg

humac

Oct 10, 2023
Probably no different than having an agent and or lawyer write one for you based on the questions they asked you for funds, ties to home, purpose for study and opportunities for career advancement etc. :)

raccoonboy

Mar 25, 2024
Without getting into the ethics of AI and where the boundaries of plagiarism vs. editing are, you've got to be mindful of the fact that generative AI tools like ChatGPT write text using existing text as a guide. So if it straight up lifted the exact text of what it writes for you from someone else's LOE, it's not going to tell you it did that. You're putting yourself at some risk. It's almost impossible to say how much risk, because generative AI companies are usually pretty opaque about where their training data comes from.

If you already did it, I wouldn't bother trying to tell the government you did, I feel like that might backfire (although, to be clear, I'm not a lawyer...) so my advice would be if they ask about it, just make it clear that the thoughts were original and you just used it like it was an editing service. Having a copy of the original text you wrote without AI help - your first draft - would be useful if it ever comes up.