+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a visitor study while doing inland sponsorship?

fiojohn

Dec 17, 2016
Good Day All,
I am from Peru and married to a Canadian citizen and currently in Canada living with my husband. I'm in Canada under a VISITOR VISA. We've decided to do inland sponsorship and we are now gathering information to send to CIC.
As you all know, getting an answer from CIC takes quite a while.
Does any of you have any info if I could study while waiting for an answer from CIC? meaning, study without having to apply for a study permit. Do visitors can study? All I want to do for now, is study for TOEFL or CELPIP English test and I don't think will be longer than 6 months.
I found this info: "If you are in Canada you may choose to enroll in a course who's duration is of 6 months or less without a student permit".
Also, once I send my app to CIC and they confirm to receive it, does this change my status of being a visitor to something else?.
Thank you for the answer experts!

itsats

Dec 16, 2014
Visa Office......
MISS
App. Filed.......
Feb10 2017
Doc's Request.
Sched A Mar20 2017
AOR Received.
Mar14 2017
Med's Done....
May10 2017
Good Day All,
I am from Peru and married to a Canadian citizen and currently in Canada living with my husband. I'm in Canada under a VISITOR VISA. We've decided to do inland sponsorship and we are now gathering information to send to CIC.
Does any of you have any info if I could study while waiting for an answer from CIC? meaning, study without having to apply for a study permit. Do visitors can study? All I want to do for now, is study for TOEFL or CELPIP English test and I don't think will be longer than 6 months.
I found this info: "If you are in Canada you may choose to enroll in a course who's duration is of 6 months or less without a student permit".
Also, once I send my app to CIC and they confirm to receive it, does this change my status of being a visitor to something else?.
i don't think studying for toefl or celpip is gonna be an issue and yes, if it's less than 6 months then you are allowed to study without a study permit. your status will remain a visitor unless you are issued a student visa or an owp.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Good Day All,
You should include an OWP app with the inland PR app to maintain your status. You will receive the OWP within about 4 months of submission, which changes your status to worker.

Regardless of whether you are a visitor or worker, you can take a course that is less than 6 months duration.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
To clarify the course being less than 6 month. Any course that produces a certificate or a diploma in less than 6 months is what you can study as a visitor. Individual university courses are obviously 3 months in length doesn't mean you can take single university courses since they are a part of a degree / diploma requirements that takes more than 6 months to complete.

itsats

Dec 16, 2014
Visa Office......
MISS
App. Filed.......
Feb10 2017
Doc's Request.
Sched A Mar20 2017
AOR Received.
Mar14 2017
Med's Done....
May10 2017
To clarify the course being less than 6 month. Any course that produces a certificate or a diploma in less than 6 months is what you can study as a visitor. Individual university courses are obviously 3 months in length doesn't mean you can take single university courses since they are a part of a degree / diploma requirements that takes more than 6 months to complete.
i think you actually can.. it's called open studies. you can take individual university courses for a semester (which is typically 4 months) but you can't pursue or enroll in any formal program that takes more than 6 months. you can do this to take a pre-requisite course for example, if you're trying to get in a program later on when you're already a PR.