+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a sponsored parent sponsor her spouse?

qiancathy819

Oct 3, 2022
I sponsored my parents to get PR in 2018 and both get approved in 2019 with a landing visa valid until May 2020. My mom as the primary applicant landed 2019 and got her PR card, however my dad's original landing plan in early 2020 was delayed due to work and also COVID situations in China. Later on, my grandma got sick so my dad has to stay in China until recently, he is okay to move to Canada. What is the best way for him to get his PR? Can my mom sponsor him given herself being a sponsored PR? Or would the best way to contact IRCC and see if they can reinstate my dad's application back in 2019? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I sponsored my parents to get PR in 2018 and both get approved in 2019 with a landing visa valid until May 2020. My mom as the primary applicant landed 2019 and got her PR card, however my dad's original landing plan in early 2020 was delayed due to work and also COVID situations in China. Later on, my grandma got sick so my dad has to stay in China until recently, he is okay to move to Canada. What is the best way for him to get his PR? Can my mom sponsor him given herself being a sponsored PR? Or would the best way to contact IRCC and see if they can reinstate my dad's application back in 2019? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Your mother would have to sponsor him for PR through spousal and she must be living in Canada.

qiancathy819

Oct 3, 2022
Your mother would have to sponsor him for PR through spousal and she must be living in Canada.
Thank you!! One more thing, what defines as 'living in Canada', can she still go back to China to visit family for 2-3 months a year during sponsorship?

liveforcoffee

Oct 3, 2022
Category........
VISIT
The best way for him to get his PR would be to contact IRCC and see if they can reinstate his application from 2019. If his application was in good standing when it was initially submitted, there is a good chance that it can be reinstated. However, if there have been any changes in his circumstances (such as marriage or children), he may need to resubmit a new application. Sponsoring your mom would not be the best option, as she would then be responsible for him financially. Additionally, the sponsorship process can be lengthy and complicated, so it is best to explore all options before pursuing this route. Ultimately, the best way to proceed would be to contact IRCC directly to discuss your dad's specific situation.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you!! One more thing, what defines as 'living in Canada', can she still go back to China to visit family for 2-3 months a year during sponsorship?
She needs to avoid being out of Canada for 2-3 months. That's too long. Keep it under 1 month to avoid jeopardizing the application. Also make sure she meets the residency obligation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The best way for him to get his PR would be to contact IRCC and see if they can reinstate his application from 2019. If his application was in good standing when it was initially submitted, there is a good chance that it can be reinstated. However, if there have been any changes in his circumstances (such as marriage or children), he may need to resubmit a new application. Sponsoring your mom would not be the best option, as she would then be responsible for him financially. Additionally, the sponsorship process can be lengthy and complicated, so it is best to explore all options before pursuing this route. Ultimately, the best way to proceed would be to contact IRCC directly to discuss your dad's specific situation.
You can’t reinstate a application from 2019. The only option is sponsoring the father.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Agreed that it's impossible to reinstate. This has never been possible (at least not in the last 10+ years).

The mother will need to sponsor the father through spousal sponsorship. Brand new application.

Reactions: canuck78

liveforcoffee

Oct 3, 2022
Category........
VISIT
Agreed that it's impossible to reinstate. This has never been possible (at least not in the last 10+ years).

The mother will need to sponsor the father through spousal sponsorship. Brand new application.
New rules, new life... Maybe my friend who recommended this when I asked, has experienced it exactly at least 10+ years (I didn't specify it, but it was worth it).