+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a refugee apply for social assistance right after receiving the acknowledgment receipt ?

Birdbox

Jan 1, 2021
Hello , I’m asking this ques on behalf of someone, he just received his acknowledgment receipt as a refugee, can he apply for social assistance? He is 70 years old and very sick person. Any response will be greatly appreciated. Thank u

Armen0

Apr 3, 2020
It may depend on the province but I'm in Ontario and know so many people who take social assistance from Ontario Works even without having Refugee Protection Claimant Document. So, for Ontario, the answer should be YES.

Birdbox

Jan 1, 2021
It may depend on the province but I'm in Ontario and know so many people who take social assistance from Ontario Works even without having Refugee Protection Claimant Document. So, for Ontario, the answer should be YES.
Thanks a lot for the reply. This person is old and hospitalized, can’t work, that’s why he was asking me if he can. He is in Ontario.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks a lot for the reply. This person is old and hospitalized, can’t work, that’s why he was asking me if he can. He is in Ontario.
How long has he been in the country and how did he arrive (what visa)? Is his life at risk in his home country and does he have proof or is he trying to seek financial support and medical care? Has he had his eligibility interview? Who has been paying for his current medical care?

Birdbox

Jan 1, 2021
How long has he been in the country and how did he arrive (what visa)? Is his life at risk in his home country and does he have proof or is he trying to seek financial support and medical care? Has he had his eligibility interview? Who has been paying for his current medical care?
He has access to federal health access. He is a refugee , I’m just asking can he apply for financial assistance or not? He didn’t have the interview yet but they sent him the acknowledgment receipt letter already.

Armen0

Apr 3, 2020
To be honest I'm not sure what acknowledgement receipt means but let me tell you a case so you can check if it applies to you. My relative claimed refugee and they gave him a date for interview. He applied to Ontario Works BEFORE the interview and was able to get it. So, assuming he is still not a tourist or visitor, he should be able to get it. I heard a similar story from another person too. You can review this website https://www.ontario.ca/page/social-assistance for eligibility and apply to it here https://www.sada.mcss.gov.on.ca/

Reactions: Birdbox

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
To be honest I'm not sure what acknowledgement receipt means but let me tell you a case so you can check if it applies to you. My relative claimed refugee and they gave him a date for interview. He applied to Ontario Works BEFORE the interview and was able to get it. So, assuming he is still not a tourist or visitor, he should be able to get it. I heard a similar story from another person too. You can review this website https://www.ontario.ca/page/social-assistance for eligibility and apply to it here https://www.sada.mcss.gov.on.ca/
Was his life at risk? Unfortunately some people apply for asylum because they want access to welfare and healthcare and not because their life is at risk in their home country. He could also have been on a supervisa which is why I was also asking about how he came to Canada.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
He has access to federal health access. He is a refugee , I’m just asking can he apply for financial assistance or not? He didn’t have the interview yet but they sent him the acknowledgment receipt letter already.
He is as an asylum claimant. The fact that he is already hospitalized and seeking asylum raises red flags which is why I asked questions. Unfortunately there are people who apply for asylum to get access to feee medical care or to try to remain in Canada even if they don’t have a strong case for asylum. To qualify to come to Canada he would have either been on a supervisa or on a TRV and have had to show significant ties and funds in their home country. Given the travel restrictions for the past year he has either been in the country for over a year or has a child or sibling in Canada. It is unclear whether if he is on a supervisa the children will have to pay back any welfare received,

Birdbox

Jan 1, 2021
He is as an asylum claimant. The fact that he is already hospitalized and seeking asylum raises red flags which is why I asked questions. Unfortunately there are people who apply for asylum to get access to feee medical care or to try to remain in Canada even if they don’t have a strong case for asylum. To qualify to come to Canada he would have either been on a supervisa or on a TRV and have had to show significant ties and funds in their home country. Given the travel restrictions for the past year he has either been in the country for over a year or has a child or sibling in Canada. It is unclear whether if he is on a supervisa the children will have to pay back any welfare received,
Hé was a refugee even before he fall sick. Sickness doesn’t need a cause to show up. He just asked if he can apply for assistance. His case will determine by the ircc. I am not here to discuss his case history. He asked me a question so I posted here just to help.
Thanks

Birdbox

Jan 1, 2021
Thanks , I will definitely pass this message to him. He is a refugee without any status. Waiting for the interview I believe. Don’t know much about this. Once again thank you for your kind reply.

Armen0

Apr 3, 2020
Was his life at risk? Unfortunately some people apply for asylum because they want access to welfare and healthcare and not because their life is at risk in their home country. He could also have been on a supervisa which is why I was also asking about how he came to Canada.
Yes and no. He was on study permit then he seek asylum bc of the events in his home country, which would probably result of his detention.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hé was a refugee even before he fall sick. Sickness doesn’t need a cause to show up. He just asked if he can apply for assistance. His case will determine by the ircc. I am not here to discuss his case history. He asked me a question so I posted here just to help.
Thanks
Was he on a supervisa?