+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a *provisional* English driver's license count towards GDL exemption?

Aussie889

Aug 8, 2012
I'm in Alberta, and I have just submitted my English provisional driver's license to a registry office for a GDL exemption. I got the provisional license in July 2011, and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience of switching these licenses. I got a class 7 license on the same day, and without the GDL exemption I'll have to wait a year before being able to drive independently, so I'm really hoping I'm allowed to take my class 5 test immediately... I know if it was a full English license there'd not be a problem, but I've not been able to find any information regarding a provisional license.

Aussie889

Aug 8, 2012
So I heard back from the registry office today, and they told me I can go straight for my class 5 now, so my exemption must've been approved. Hopefully if anyone else has this (rare) problem my experience can help. They don't seem to give you any proof of the exemption being approved, although I asked, so hopefully when I try to take my test it'll go smoothly...

Reactions: dmurrman

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How long did you have your provisional license? If you already had it for 2 years, they may feel that you've done your waiting time and can try for the advanced road test and a class 5 license.

If you've had it for less, I am surprised they are letting you try for class 5 already and not for basic road test and GDL (provisional) license.

kkankal

Oct 2, 2010
My experience does not directly relate to your question..me and my wife had full UK DL's less than 1 year old and they exchanged those forto Class 5 GDL's for both of us. However, we did not get a full Alberts DL.

On a side note, I had misplaced the paper Counterpart of my UK DL when moving and had to obtain a certificate of entitlement from DVLA UK before services Alberta accepted my application.

Aussie889

Aug 8, 2012
Leon said:
How long did you have your provisional license? If you already had it for 2 years, they may feel that you've done your waiting time and can try for the advanced road test and a class 5 license.

If you've had it for less, I am surprised they are letting you try for class 5 already and not for basic road test and GDL (provisional) license.
I'd had it for over 2 years, since July 2011. So yeah, quite a while, I'm glad I didn't have to wait longer here. I'm just surprised they don't give proof of the GDL exemption, but I guess it's in the system so I hope there's no problems.

And as the poster above also said, I needed to provide my paper counterpart as well as the card, so if anyone tries this don't forget to bring that along.

Angamaly_EKM

Sep 22, 2019
Hi
My license is issued on July 13th, 2018 in Singapore.

I am moving to Alberta in April 2020 after getting my PR there. However, my overseas driving expericnce would still be slightly less than 2 years when i land in April 2020. So, to be eligible for the GDL exemption for more than 2 years, should I just wait till July 13th, 2020 and apply? does it work even though I would have landed 3 months earlier?

Kindly reply. very urgent