+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a PR return to Canada at a land border crossing with an expired PR card?

Helen80

Mar 11, 2021
In the past a permanent resident could enter Canada in a private vehicle across a lander border even with an expired PR card by presenting a CoPR or record of landing.

But I've been hearing things may have changed during COVID restrictions and with the introduction of the PTRD. Does anyone have recent experience crossing the land border with an expired PR card? Is a PTRD now necessary, or is it still acceptable to present the CoPR or record of landing?

An acquaintance told me that two different CBSA officers said she would not be able to enter without a valid PR card by private car at a land crossing, which raises concern.

I ask as a US citizen and Canadian PR. I definitely still meet PR requirements (having lived in Canada since landing and travelled outside Canada very little), but my PR card is expired. I have an urgent need to visit the US to deal with a family matter, however, so I was hoping to drive there by private car. But now I'm not sure I can return. Due to COVID risk, I would prefer not to fly, as I am unvaccinated (like most people in Canada).

Thanks in advance.

• Wow
Reactions: Cassiano

Helen80

Mar 11, 2021
As far as I'm aware they have to let you back in.
Thanks for your reply. I guess I'm trying to figure out what I will need to show them in order for them to let me back in. Is a CoPR or record of landing enough? Or do I need to apply for a PRTD?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for your reply. I guess I'm trying to figure out what I will need to show them in order for them to let me back in. Is a CoPR or record of landing enough? Or do I need to apply for a PRTD?
Your expired PR card and other personal identification document should be enough. As long as they can identify you and link you to your PR file.

I warn, though, I don't have personal experience of this.

Reactions: dpenabill

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
One additional note here - not specifically related to pr status.

I assume you have typical Canadian docs - health card, driver's license, etc. It can't hurt to have these at hand and make them visible to cbsa, even lay them out or show them.

These reports of trouble at border are inconsistent and anecdotal - hard to know what's behind them. Perhaps the border agents think these are factual us residents attempting to do tourism. (Maybe the stories are leaving out the information that contains the actual reason for the problem entering). Maybe there were other people in the car and they were refused, and the group turned back. Or just mistakes happened.

Anyway I think if it's obvious you are an actual, factual, full time resident, chances of problems are lower.

afridi2482

Apr 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2011
Med's Request
24-03-2011
Med's Done....
28-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
04-08-2011
LANDED..........
September 2011
@Helen80 I am in a similar situation. Can you please update as to what happened .. did u try to cross border via private vehicle with expired PR card

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@Helen80 I am in a similar situation. Can you please update as to what happened .. did u try to cross border via private vehicle with expired PR card
You shouldn’t have an issue. If you don’t meet your RO you can get reported but if you meet your RO you will be able to enter without any problems.

afridi2482

Apr 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2011
Med's Request
24-03-2011
Med's Done....
28-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
04-08-2011