+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a pr holder apply for SOWP for spouse

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
There is a legal loophole, i have known many people apply for work permit while outland spousal visa and got work permit while spousal pr is in process and its a gray area not everyone knows.

Unless you are a legal attorney, the common consensus is that you cant apply for work permit along with outland spousal visa.

Guess we will have to wait and i will update you guys here.
Care to share this legal loophole?

If you "know many people", what was the point of your post then?

gihank

Star Member
Aug 3, 2017
Care to share this legal loophole?

If you "know many people", what was the point of your post then?
Will do with the exact section

This was posted before here because i thought i can do it alone without an attorney as a rep. I asked here if anyone has done it before or has experience with it, and seems everyone is giving the generic answer that work permit cannot be applied along with spouse visa.

I also confirmed with CIC and another few attorneys before selecting one.

gihank

Star Member
Aug 3, 2017
In summary, its the section 116 of the immigration and refugee protection regulations act. I will ask and tell the exact stuff once i get in contact with the rep.

Approval of work permit can be done as long as the spousal visa is under process. Doesnt matter if inland or outland.

Reactions: tonisg18

psgglorious2

Sep 13, 2022
A person (primary) is on WP-ICT and spouse (dependent) on SOWP. If the primary applies for PR mentioning that the dependent will not accompany (for the sake of better CRS score) and gets PR, what will happen to the SOWP of the dependent? Can the primary sponsor the dependent for PR later?