+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a PR applicant under outland family sponsorship travel in and out Canada?

phoebengn

May 23, 2016
Hi all,
I applied to be sponsored under the outland family sponsorship a month ago. I'm currently in Canada as a temporary resident. My husband and I are planning to travel in December. So am I allowed to travel and re-enter Canada during the application process?

Thanks.

M

mikeymyke

Yes you're allowed to travel and re-enter as much as you want, however it's not always a guarantee they will let you in again. Also if your sponsor is a PR and not a citizen, he's supposed to remain in Canada and shouldn't leave for longer than a couple weeks.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
When you apply outland, you will be treated as just the average visitor from your country. So if you need a visitor visa to enter Canada, you will still need one to enter after applying for PR (unless you are going to just the USA or two French islands near Newfoundland). If you do not need a visitor visa, you will be let in as a visitor. You should be clear that you are just visiting. It is a good idea to bring proof of your PR application. People from countries whose citizens do not need a visa to enter Canada are almost always allowed back in.

phantom85

Jun 13, 2011
I have a similar situation where i have a valid visit visa and started compiling documentation for family sponsorship application.
Is there any "IRCC" reference that governs this case ? ie: having a valid visitor visa while an outland sponsorship application is being processed ?

ScottishPolish

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-02-2016
AOR Received.
23-02-2016
File Transfer...
12-03-2016
Med's Done....
01-16-2016
Interview........
15-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
15-06-2016
LANDED..........
19-06-2016
phantom85 said:
I have a similar situation where i have a valid visit visa and started compiling documentation for family sponsorship application.
Is there any "IRCC" reference that governs this case ? ie: having a valid visitor visa while an outland sponsorship application is being processed ?
You have to maintain your visitor visa status if you stay in Canada during the outland sponsorship process. So if your visa is about to expire, you have to apply to have it extended at least 30 days before it expires. While you are applying for the extension, you are considered to be legal here under implied status - so let's say your visa expires Sept 1, you apply for an extension Aug 1, and you don't hear back until october 1. The period while you are waiting, between Sept 1 and Oct 1 is the implied status, so you are legally here while waiting for their answer.

And yes you have to maintain your visitor visa status if you are physically here. You can leave the country to travel if you want to, however as mentioned, there are no guarantees they will let you back in when you come back. Depends on the border officer. So as long as you are willing to take the risk. Usually however, if you show them that there is a sponsorship in process, it shouldn't be a problem. So its entirely up to you.

This article might help...personally, we decided that my husband should not travel in and out during the outland process. We just didn't want to take the risk of him not being able to get back in. But its entirely up to you.

http://www.cicnews.com/2016/05/ircc-update-spousalcommonlaw-sponsorship-processing-times-12-months-applicants-057930.html

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
ScottishPolish said:
You have to maintain your visitor visa status if you stay in Canada during the outland sponsorship process. So if your visa is about to expire, you have to apply to have it extended at least 30 days before it expires. While you are applying for the extension, you are considered to be legal here under implied status - so let's say your visa expires Sept 1, you apply for an extension Aug 1, and you don't hear back until october 1. The period while you are waiting, between Sept 1 and Oct 1 is the implied status, so you are legally here while waiting for their answer.

And yes you have to maintain your visitor visa status if you are physically here. You can leave the country to travel if you want to, however as mentioned, there are no guarantees they will let you back in when you come back. Depends on the border officer. So as long as you are willing to take the risk.
You are completely mixing up the terms. A visitor VISA, called a TRV, is something completely different from visitor STATUS.

It is visitor status that must be maintained when a person is in Canada. A person is not required to have a valid visitor visa while in Canada.

belch

May 9, 2017
Hi all,
I applied to be sponsored under the outland family sponsorship a month ago. I'm currently in Canada as a temporary resident. My husband and I are planning to travel in December. So am I allowed to travel and re-enter Canada during the application process?

Thanks.
Hello!
Do you end up leaving canada during your sponsorship? And does it affect the sponsorship? Thank you