+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a PhD student apply for permanent residency while studying (before graduation)?

Sep 1, 2022
Hello,

I am new to the forum and hope to get some advice on this matter.

I am considering applying for a PhD in Ontario, and I was wondering if it is possible for a PhD student to apply for permanent residency (through EE for instance) while doing their PhD, ideally during the first or second year of starting their studies?

I researched the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program, but the immigration stream they offer only allows you to apply after you have obtained your PhD. I also found an article on the topic, but no official communication from the IRCC.

Thank you,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I am considering applying for a PhD in Ontario, and I was wondering if it is possible for a PhD student to apply for permanent residency (through EE for instance) while doing their PhD, ideally during the first or second year of starting their studies?

I researched the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program, but the immigration stream they offer only allows you to apply after you have obtained your PhD. I also found an article on the topic, but no official communication from the IRCC.

Thank you,
Sure, you can apply for PR through EE before you complete your PhD if you meet the work experience and other requirements.

joGain

Apr 20, 2022
Hello,

Thank you,
I think you are thinking about a stream which was available almost 10 years ago. It used to allow PHD students to apply for PR after completing two years of study in Canada. Unfortunately, that stream has been discontinued.

Sep 1, 2022
I think you are thinking about a stream which was available almost 10 years ago. It used to allow PHD students to apply for PR after completing two years of study in Canada. Unfortunately, that stream has been discontinued.
I see, thank you for this update!

Sep 1, 2022
Sure, you can apply for PR through EE before you complete your PhD if you meet the work experience and other requirements.
Thank you for your prompt reply!

I am assuming that a student enrolled in a PhD program falls then under one of the three federal programs administered by Entry Express, namely: Federal Skilled Worker Program, Canadian Experience Class or Provincial Nominee Program. Is that what you mean?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your prompt reply!

I am assuming that a student enrolled in a PhD program falls then under one of the three federal programs administered by Entry Express, namely: Federal Skilled Worker Program, Canadian Experience Class or Provincial Nominee Program. Is that what you mean?
No, that's not what I mean.

To fall under the Canadian Experience Class program, you need to have at least one year of work experience in Canada in a skilled occupation. Also that work experience cannot have been gained while studying in Canada. So unless you have previous work experience in Canada, the earliest you'll qualify for this program is a year after you finish your PhD. If you already happen to have at least one year of full time Canadian work experience in a skilled profession and that work experience falls within the last 3 years, then you would qualify. The fact you are enrolled in a PhD program is completely irrelevant as to whether you qualify or not.

For the PNP program, you will need to research the programs for the province where you will be studying. You may or may not qualify for these programs while you are taking your PhD.

For Express Entry / FSW, the fact you are a student enrolled in a PhD program is once again completely irrelevant. Whether you qualify will depend on whether you have at least one year of continuous work experience (this can be foriegn work experience) in a single skilled NOC, as well as other factors such as ECA, complete a language test, etc. Whether you are selected will depend entirely on how high you score.

Based on the questions you are asking, my recommendation is that you dedicate more time to researching the immigration programs to understand how they work.

Sep 1, 2022
No, that's not what I mean.

To fall under the Canadian Experience Class program, you need to have at least one year of work experience in Canada in a skilled occupation. Also that work experience cannot have been gained while studying in Canada. So unless you have previous work experience in Canada, the earliest you'll qualify for this program is a year after you finish your PhD. If you already happen to have at least one year of full time Canadian work experience in a skilled profession and that work experience falls within the last 3 years, then you would qualify. The fact you are enrolled in a PhD program is completely irrelevant as to whether you qualify or not.

For the PNP program, you will need to research the programs for the province where you will be studying. You may or may not qualify for these programs while you are taking your PhD.

For Express Entry / FSW, the fact you are a student enrolled in a PhD program is once again completely irrelevant. Whether you qualify will depend on whether you have at least one year of continuous work experience (this can be foriegn work experience) in a single skilled NOC, as well as other factors such as ECA, complete a language test, etc. Whether you are selected will depend entirely on how high you score.

Based on the questions you are asking, my recommendation is that you dedicate more time to researching the immigration programs to understand how they work.
Thank you so much for the clarification, I will look into it further!