+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a PGWP holder apply their fiancee for an open work permit?

uragon88

Aug 12, 2022
Good day!

I am a Post Graduate Work Permit holder and this will expire next year on August 2025.
I will be applying for a permanent residency soon under the Canadian experience class pathway.
However, is it possible to have my fiancee come to Canada for us to get married here, and once we're married I will apply her for a work permit as my dependent?
Additionally, if she will be approved for a work permit, is it possible that I will include her when I apply for the permanent residency?

Your suggestions regarding this matter are most welcome. Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good day!

I am a Post Graduate Work Permit holder and this will expire next year on August 2025.
I will be applying for a permanent residency soon under the Canadian experience class pathway.
However, is it possible to have my fiancee come to Canada for us to get married here, and once we're married I will apply her for a work permit as my dependent?
Additionally, if she will be approved for a work permit, is it possible that I will include her when I apply for the permanent residency?

Your suggestions regarding this matter are most welcome. Thank you.
You need to be married or common law for her to qualify.

uragon88

Aug 12, 2022
You need to be married or common law for her to qualify.
Yes, she already has a visitor visa to come here in Canada. Which is why she will be going here for us to get married here in Canada so that I can apply her for an open work permit.
Can she be eligible then?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes, she already has a visitor visa to come here in Canada. Which is why she will be going here for us to get married here in Canada so that I can apply her for an open work permit.
Yes

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Depending on how much time you have spent together in person and what is expected culturally (for example having family present at your wedding) you may want to consider getting married in the a Philippines. Will your families be attending a wedding in Canada? You were separated while you studied and worked in Canada had you been dating for a long period of time before then? Have you ever lived together? Would there be a reason why your families would not attend your wedding? What type of wedding and reception do you plan on having in Canada?

uragon88

Aug 12, 2022
Depending on how much time you have spent together in person and what is expected culturally (for example having family present at your wedding) you may want to consider getting married in the a Philippines. Will your families be attending a wedding in Canada? You were separated while you studied and worked in Canada had you been dating for a long period of time before then? Have you ever lived together? Would there be a reason why your families would not attend your wedding? What type of wedding and reception do you plan on having in Canada?
Will the government of Canada require those details before I can apply her for an open work permit when we get married?
I already have relatives here in Canada, and they can attend our wedding. However, I can also invite my family and hers if they want to because they also have visitor visa. But the cost of flying them to Canada is too much though, that is one problem.

m_0313

Jan 11, 2024
Will the government of Canada require those details before I can apply her for an open work permit when we get married?
I already have relatives here in Canada, and they can attend our wedding. However, I can also invite my family and hers if they want to because they also have visitor visa. But the cost of flying them to Canada is too much though, that is one problem.
Better to have some of your family members attend the wedding if they're here in Canada. If your partner's parents will not be able to attend, maybe ask them to write a congratulations letter for you both. You can add that to let the officer know that her parents are approved of your wedding and just add an explanation why they can't attend in person. That will solidify the integrity of your marriage.

I'm sure you can add her to your PGWP. My spouse was able to change his Working Holiday Visa (expired last Dec2023) to match my Ext-PGWP (expiring October2024). We did follow-up via Webform and added supporting documents like wedding photos, letter from friends and family, marriage cert, etc.

Since you're changing your status and you're requesting an OWP for her, you need to prove to them that your marriage is genuine. That's why it might be better to have all of these supporting documents ready. It will just make things easier for you and the officer. :p

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How much time have you spent together in person dating? When did you start dating? Did you ever live together, go vacation together, etc.? What type of wedding would you have in Canada? A court wedding and as soon as you get your wedding certificate apply for sponsorship? Depending on your relationship history that can be a cause for concern. Parents attending your wedding as well as having lots of family at your wedding as well as having a religious ceremony is fairly common in the Philippines. Not having any parent attend your wedding and having a small court wedding once in Canada will appear as though you are getting married for immigration purposes. Will you have a reception in the Philippines later on? Is there a reason you couldn’t get married in the Philippines before your fiancée moved to Canada? Are you religious? Are you not in touch or close to your parents and potentially siblings if you have any?

m_0313

Jan 11, 2024
There will be questions about the integrity of the marriage like how you met each other, how long have you been together. Have you met each other in person before the wedding, and so and so. It would be wise to provide supporting documents as much as you can.

I would say having some family members and friends around during wedding is enough. As long as you have enough proof about your relationship (like photos together, online messages, phone calls, chat for the past couple of years or so), it would suffice. Big wedding with both sides of the family present in a church is the "traditional" wedding but lets not forget Philippines is a bit more westernized and is more progressive in terms of marriages. I think they would understand your situation if you explain that you chose an intimate wedding or so. Elope wedding and intimate wedding are becoming popular in the PH given that it is more practical.