+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a PGWP holder apply their fiancee for a work permit?

uragon88

Aug 12, 2022
Good day!

I am a Post Graduate Work Permit holder and this will expire next year on August 2025.
I will be applying for a permanent residency soon under the Canadian experience class pathway.
However, is it possible to have my fiancee come to Canada for us to get married here, and once we're married I will apply her for a work permit as my dependent?
Additionally, if she will be approved for a work permit, is it possible that I will include her when I apply for the permanent residency?

Your suggestions regarding this matter are most welcome. Thank you.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Good day!

I am a Post Graduate Work Permit holder and this will expire next year on August 2025.
I will be applying for a permanent residency soon under the Canadian experience class pathway.
However, is it possible to have my fiancee come to Canada for us to get married here, and once we're married I will apply her for a work permit as my dependent?
Additionally, if she will be approved for a work permit, is it possible that I will include her when I apply for the permanent residency?

Don't have all the answers. But once you are married (in Canada or you travel somewhere to get married), you need to add your spouse to the application.
(doesn't matter if she is inside Canada with work permit or visitor or outside)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Good day!

There are no fiancée visas or permits. You need to be common law (live together for a continuous year) or married for your fiancée to be able to remain in Canada unless they are able to get a TRV which would allow them to visit but only for a limited amount of time. What is your CRS score? Many are finishing their PGWP but will not be able to qualify for PR via CEC which was once easy.

pimpsquek

Feb 4, 2015
Good day!

IMO, it will be tougher to prove (especially to Manila Embassy) to sponsor your fiancé as common-law or tourist visa and eventually marry her in Canada. I would rather marry her in the Philippines then apply for SOWP. And when you apply for PR (if you are married already in PH) you can/must include her.

Reactions: YVR123

uragon88

Aug 12, 2022
IMO, it will be tougher to prove (especially to Manila Embassy) to sponsor your fiancé as common-law or tourist visa and eventually marry her in Canada. I would rather marry her in the Philippines then apply for SOWP. And when you apply for PR (if you are married already in PH) you can/must include her.
Can you please elaborate the reason why it will be tough to prove to Canada Immigration or in Manila?

uragon88

Aug 12, 2022
There are no fiancée visas or permits. You need to be common law (live together for a continuous year) or married for your fiancée to be able to remain in Canada unless they are able to get a TRV which would allow them to visit but only for a limited amount of time. What is your CRS score? Many are finishing their PGWP but will not be able to qualify for PR via CEC which was once easy.
My fiancee already has TRV or Visitor Visa. The plan is for her to come to Canada and we will get married. Then if possible, I will apply her for an open work permit inside Canada being myself as the principal. If the IRCC approves the application then she can stay. If not then she will go back to the Philippines, I will apply for PR by then for both of us since we're already married, then she will wait there in the Philippines until we have the PR.
How's that plan sound just in case? Is it doable / possible?

pimpsquek

Feb 4, 2015
My fiancee already has TRV or Visitor Visa. The plan is for her to come to Canada and we will get married. Then if possible, I will apply her for an open work permit inside Canada being myself as the principal. If the IRCC approves the application then she can stay. If not then she will go back to the Philippines, I will apply for PR by then for both of us since we're already married, then she will wait there in the Philippines until we have the PR.
How's that plan sound just in case? Is it doable / possible?
Oh, I see! It's a good plan to get married in Canada if she does have a visitor visa. Since you are a PGWP holder, aside from doing it via mycic (to apply her for SOWP which will take almost 6 months processing inside Canada), you can apply her via flagpoling, instantly they will issue a Spousal Open Work Permit for her. You & your soon to be wife just need cross the nearest border and bring the following documents:
- Your PGWP
- Employment Contract and paystub
- Your Certificate of Graduation
- Your Canadian Marriage Certificate
- Passports (both of you)

Goodluck!

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Oh, I see! It's a good plan to get married in Canada if she does have a visitor visa. Since you are a PGWP holder, aside from doing it via mycic (to apply her for SOWP which will take almost 6 months processing inside Canada), you can apply her via flagpoling, instantly they will issue a Spousal Open Work Permit for her. You & your soon to be wife just need cross the nearest border and bring the following documents:
- Your PGWP
- Employment Contract and paystub
- Your Certificate of Graduation
- Your Canadian Marriage Certificate
- Passports (both of you)

Goodluck!
SOWP isn’t guaranteed and neither is SOWP by flagpoling. Some borders no longer even offer flagpoling. A high percentage of spouses are able to secure SOWP but not guaranteed especially for new spouses.

Reactions: bellaluna

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Good day!

Would suggest looking at other ways to secure PR unless your CRS score is in the 500s. Many counting on CEC are not going to qualify.