+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a person on Visitor visa extend his stay from inside canada

Aug 23, 2018
My Wife and Child has received Visitor Record extension. Can they apply for Temporary resident visa from Inside canada?

I am on Workpermit, which got extended recently and have received TRV for my self.

Please help as I am not sure what should be my next step.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My Wife and Child has received Visitor Record extension. Can they apply for Temporary resident visa from Inside canada?

I am on Workpermit, which got extended recently and have received TRV for my self.

No. Their TRV apps must be processed in their home country or a US visa office.

nage.sai94

Star Member
Jun 5, 2018

As per my knowledge you can do it. But you can't apply online. You need to go with paper based application. Also could you please let me know when you have applied for extension and when you got the decision?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

As per my knowledge you can do it. But you can't apply online. You need to go with paper based application. Also could you please let me know when you have applied for extension and when you got the decision?
1. The OP could apply for a TRV in Canada as he has a work permit, his wife and children are visitors, only holders of study/work permits can apply in Canada. Visitors as pointed out above have to apply outside Canada.

vkuma124

Star Member
Oct 10, 2014
Hi

1. The OP could apply for a TRV in Canada as he has a work permit, his wife and children are visitors, only holders of study/work permits can apply in Canada. Visitors as pointed out above have to apply outside Canada.
I think, you can apply TRV extension of your wife and children within canada.. you can go either online or paper application.
Your wife and children's Temporary Resident Visa is fully dependent on your WP, TRV and expiry date.. it should be very straight forward.

sandhu_heera_preet

Star Member
Jul 30, 2016
I think, you can apply TRV extension of your wife and children within canada.. you can go either online or paper application.
Your wife and children's Temporary Resident Visa is fully dependent on your WP, TRV and expiry date.. it should be very straight forward.
Only study permit and work permit holders can apply TRV within Canada

nage.sai94

Star Member
Jun 5, 2018
Only study permit and work permit holders can apply TRV within Canada
This is the wrong notation people are giving on this portal. Please be aware that, you can apply paper based application for new TRV for your dependents and can get the new TRV. I have done the same and got approved for my spouse. Also, few of my friends done the same and got approved.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
This is the wrong notation people are giving on this portal. Please be aware that, you can apply paper based application for new TRV for your dependents and can get the new TRV. I have done the same and got approved for my spouse. Also, few of my friends done the same and got approved.
It's good to know this was successful for you. We're just going by what the IRCC website says, because...well, we don't want to give bad or contrary advice:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/apply-new-temporary-resident-visa-within-canada.html

If you are a temporary resident in Canada with valid status (that is, you have a valid study permit or work permit), you can apply for a new temporary resident visa to return to Canada before you leave.

You can apply in Canada if:

• you are a legally admitted
    • student or
    • foreign worker
    in Canada with a Canadian residential address,
  • your current temporary resident status is still valid, and your existing visa counterfoil is expired or was valid for only one entry, and
  • you need a new temporary resident visa to return to Canada in the near future.
If this does not apply to you, see our general instructions on how to apply.

nage.sai94

Star Member
Jun 5, 2018
It's good to know this was successful for you. We're just going by what the IRCC website says, because...well, we don't want to give bad or contrary advice:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/apply-new-temporary-resident-visa-within-canada.html
Yes, in online portal it is mentioned as only sp and wp holders can apply. But as per my experience all of this case got approved. But in online we cannot do it. We need to do it definatly with paper application

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The misunderstanding is due to people not knowing what "within Canada" means. For IRCC, "within Canada" means submitting an application to an office in Canada.

A visitor in Canada cannot submit a TRV application to an office in Canada, i.e. they can't apply "within Canada". However, a visitor in Canada can submit the app to an office outside of Canada; this is NOT considered as applying "within Canada".

nage.sai94

Star Member
Jun 5, 2018
The misunderstanding is due to people not knowing what "within Canada" means. For IRCC, "within Canada" means submitting an application to an office in Canada.

A visitor in Canada cannot submit a TRV application to an office in Canada, i.e. they can't apply "within Canada". However, a visitor in Canada can submit the app to an office outside of Canada; this is NOT considered as applying "within Canada".
I have applied to within Canada office only for TRV based on visitor record. i.e to Ottawa office.