+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a partime worker indvidual claim/get Maternity/Parental benefits?

Once-A-Marketer

Mar 21, 2017
Hi,
I am a couple of weeks pregenant. I have been working part time, sometime 20 hours a week and some only 8 hours a week. Since it is in retail, I feel tired and most likely, I wil quit soon. My husband works fulltime. I was reading Service Canada's webiste about these benefits, but couldn't related to my situation.

I was wondering if I can claim for maternity/parental benfits and how soon can I file my claims? Are there any organizations that provide help to new comers in Ontario? I would really apprecaite any advice or help.

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
I am a couple of weeks pregenant. I have been working part time, sometime 20 hours a week and some only 8 hours a week. Since it is in retail, I feel tired and most likely, I wil quit soon. My husband works fulltime. I was reading Service Canada's webiste about these benefits, but couldn't related to my situation.

I was wondering if I can claim for maternity/parental benfits and how soon can I file my claims? Are there any organizations that provide help to new comers in Ontario? I would really apprecaite any advice or help.

Thank you!
It depends how many hours you've worked in total. You need a minimum of 600 insurable hours of work to qualify.

Detailed information here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/ei/ei-list/reports/maternity-parental.html

Also note that the earliest you can start receiving benefits are 12 weeks before your due date. If you are only a few weeks pregnant, it's going to be a while before you qualify.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi,

Thank you!
As mentioned above, you need to have worked a minimum of 600 hrs in the "qualifying period", that is the immediate 52 weeks prior to claiming benefits If you have worked less than that, then you do not qualify.. If you are ill, and have worked more than the 600 hours, some will get a Dr's note and claim sickness benefits, which will then lead into the maternity leave. Note, sickness benefits is maxed out at 15 weeks Some people I used to work with who were part time, took extra hours to rack up their insurable hours so they could get the highest amount allowed as a EI payment.
Your ROE will state the reason it was issued. Once you get a Dr's note, I HIGHLY recommend that you make a photocopy of this and go to a Service Canada Centre and hand it in, so it can be sent to the processing centre and attached to your file. If you have less than 600 hrs in the qualifying period, your claim will be denied, for whichever benefits you claim. What organizations are you referring to you for new comers ? To provide what ?

Here is a link to a benefit finder provided by the Government

https://srv138.services.gc.ca/daf/q?id=edeb0bbb-524f-4a64-ad6e-a5950fb9d6fc&GoCTemplateCulture=en-CA

Last edited:
Reactions: canuck_in_uk

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As mentioned above, you need to have worked a minimum of 600 hrs in the "qualifying period", that is the immediate 52 weeks prior to claiming benefits If you have worked less than that, then you do not qualify.. If you are ill, and have worked more than the 600 hours, some will get a Dr's note and claim sickness benefits, which will then lead into the maternity leave. Note, sickness benefits is maxed out at 15 weeks Some people I used to work with who were part time, took extra hours to rack up their insurable hours so they could get the highest amount allowed as a EI payment.
Your ROE will state the reason it was issued. Once you get a Dr's note, I HIGHLY recommend that you make a photocopy of this and go to a Service Canada Centre and hand it in, so it can be sent to the processing centre and attached to your file. If you have less than 600 hrs in the qualifying period, your claim will be denied, for whichever benefits you claim. What organizations are you referring to you for new comers ? To provide what ?

Here is a link to a benefit finder provided by the Government

https://srv138.services.gc.ca/daf/q?id=edeb0bbb-524f-4a64-ad6e-a5950fb9d6fc&GoCTemplateCulture=en-CA
Being tired is not a reason for getting disability payments and no doctor will give you a note to go on disability unless there is a medical reason why you can’t work. You can ask your employer to try and schedule you for less hours for the next few weeks to get you through the fatigue and you should get your husband to do the cooking, cleaning, shopping so you can rest and build up your work hours. To qualify you will have to work the 600 hours. Mat leave payments are pretty minimal so you probably should work so you can save money to use during your maternity leave plus qualify for Maternity EI payments. You seem to be in your 1st trimester. You will likely feel better in your 2nd trimester.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I hopefully never came across that a person should claim EI sickness benefits for being “ tired “, that was not my intention. If one was VERY sick because of being pregnant, not being tired, and the Doctor recommended bed rest

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Hi,

Thank you!
here is a website that helped us in our first pregnancy. (not sure if its your first or not). Fatigue is a common symptom of early pregnancy. Also unless your work has benefits where they top up mat leave, you only get about 55% of your normal salary now for the 12 month period should you qualify.

https://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/symptoms-and-solutions/pregnancy-fatigue.aspx

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I hopefully never came across that a person should claim EI sickness benefits for being “ tired “, that was not my intention. If one was VERY sick because of being pregnant, not being tired, and the Doctor recommended bed rest
Just wanted to clarify that illness is more than just being tired or having some normal morning sickness (not hyperemesis). Lots of various reasons you can be unable to work during pregnancy for medical reasons but this doesn’t seem to be the case in her situation. Didn’t want to provide false hope that getting a note or disability benefits will be easily. You need medical proof like test results for you can’t work. This woman should prioritize getting her 600 hours to qualify for mat leave benefits. Every little bit of money helps. Have a sneaking suspicion she may be still doing all the cooking and cleaning. She needs to save her energy for work and either get her husband to take on these responsibilities or pay someone to help/get take out. 1st pregnancy so hopefully she will feel better by her 2nd trimester or earlier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jets13