+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a parent on a supervisa apply for a US visa in Canada?

superhanuman

Jun 19, 2015
Hi there,

I think i know the answer but just want a confirmation from the CanadaVisa Community.

My mom is here on a superVisa, she arrived last december so she potentially can stay up to Dec 2017. She has applied and received a US Visa previously and visited the US in 2009-2010.

We want to apply for a visa at the US consulate as we are planning to go down south for the summer.

I know they recommend applying to the visa in your own country of residence. But it's kinda hard to planned 2 years ahead ... and furthermore they only give you 30 days from the date of issuance to enter the USA ...

Question is, what are the risk that she's being denied the US Visa/Chance to be given the US visa?

Thanks

SH

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
superhanuman said:
Question is, what are the risk that she's being denied the US Visa/Chance to be given the US visa?
This should be asked in a USA Visa immigration forum.

You can apply anywhere in the world for a US visa.

sokosan

Aug 6, 2015
superhanuman said:
I know they recommend applying to the visa in your own country of residence. But it's kinda hard to planned 2 years ahead ... and furthermore they only give you 30 days from the date of issuance to enter the USA ...
First of all, where did you get the idea that you must enter 30 days from the date your visa is issued?
Look here:
http://www.immihelp.com/visitor-visa/usa-visit-travel-preparation.html

If you get a 10 year multiple entry visa, you can come to the United States any time during those 10 years. There is no restriction to start your travel within a specified period such as 6 months of getting the initial visa.
Your visa will not expire if you do not visit in a certain time frame. If you never visit during the entire validity of your visa stamp, that is not a problem at all and will not negatively impact your subsequent applications in the future.
In fact, on US embassy websites, they encourage you to apply for a visa many months in advance prior to your planned trip, and do not require you to have any definite travel plans, and advise against buying a ticket or booking accommodation which you cannot cancel.

Second, yes, you are allowed to apply for a US visa at any US consulate or embassy in the world, you are not required to do this in your home country. However, the US authorities explicitly say that it is highly recommended that you apply in your home country, since US embassies outside your home country can have trouble verifying the information you give them. For example, if you say I live at X and work at Y, the US embassy in your home country should know an easy way to check and confirm this. A US embassy on another continent may not know how to check this information, may not know how to interpret documents from your home country you give them, and may not bother to learn all that (and may end up rejecting you because of this).

The answer to your question is easy: your mother has a much higher chance of being rejected applying from Canada compared to applying from her home country.

All you can do now is just try, and see what happens.

superhanuman

Jun 19, 2015
sokosan said:
First of all, where did you get the idea that you must enter 30 days from the date your visa is issued?
Look here:
http://www.immihelp.com/visitor-visa/usa-visit-travel-preparation.html
Hi Sokosan, thank for taking the time to reply. Actually it is 90 days from the day of the visa issuance that you have to enter the US. I got that from my mom last US visa. It was a 2 entries visa only. And it wasn't a 10 years multi entries visa like the one they're taking about.

sokosan said:
In fact, on US embassy websites, they encourage you to apply for a visa many months in advance prior to your planned trip, and do not require you to have any definite travel plans, and advise against buying a ticket or booking accommodation which you cannot cancel.

Second, yes, you are allowed to apply for a US visa at any US consulate or embassy in the world, you are not required to do this in your home country. However, the US authorities explicitly say that it is highly recommended that you apply in your home country, since US embassies outside your home country can have trouble verifying the information you give them. For example, if you say I live at X and work at Y, the US embassy in your home country should know an easy way to check and confirm this. A US embassy on another continent may not know how to check this information, may not know how to interpret documents from your home country you give them, and may not bother to learn all that (and may end up rejecting you because of this).

The answer to your question is easy: your mother has a much higher chance of being rejected applying from Canada compared to applying from her home country.

All you can do now is just try, and see what happens.
Yeah that's what will do!

Thanks!

SH

kiran16861

May 23, 2017
Hi there,

I think i know the answer but just want a confirmation from the CanadaVisa Community.

My mom is here on a superVisa, she arrived last december so she potentially can stay up to Dec 2017. She has applied and received a US Visa previously and visited the US in 2009-2010.

We want to apply for a visa at the US consulate as we are planning to go down south for the summer.

Thanks

SH

kiran16861

May 23, 2017
Hi....The post is quite old but I have a similar suitation and not able to make up my mind on applying the US B1/b2 visa for my mother from canada...She is on super Visa here.

I was hoping to know did you actually tried applying and were the results positive???

Let me know...Thanks
Kiran...

ananthyog

Star Member
Feb 16, 2019
Hi Kiran,
I have a similar situation. I want to apply for usa visitor visa to my parents (they are here in Canada on super visa). But I don't think they can speak English. could you share your experience..did you apply for your mom alone for usa visitor visa? thanks

Hi....The post is quite old but I have a similar suitation and not able to make up my mind on applying the US B1/b2 visa for my mother from canada...She is on super Visa here.

I was hoping to know did you actually tried applying and were the results positive???

Let me know...Thanks
Kiran...

Parry_k

Feb 12, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi
Did anyone end up getting a US Visa after applying from Canada while on Super Visa?