20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
alphazip said:
Screech, can you please provide a link to some official source where it is stated that a Canadian-born child loses his/her citizenship when adopted by a foreign citizen? While I see a good deal of information on foreign children being adopted by Canadians (and the procedure for them to obtain Canadian citizenship), I see nothing about Canadian children being adopted by non-Canadians, other than this on an adoption blog:

"Sorry, adoption of a Canadian child to Europe is not possible. Canada does not "export" (for lack of a better term) its children to other countries. Many provinces don't even allow inter-provincial adoption!"
I am not familiar with the adoption of Canadian children sent overseas or even aware if Canada does or does not allow Canadian children to be adopted overseas. However I am sure that if an foreign adopted child loses his/her own citizenship and only acquire Canadian citizenship as part of the adoption procedure, I am sure and it makes sense that it is reciprocal to Canadian children being adopted overseas.

I have been trying to find link / sources to confirm this. Like you said, only found references to adoption / citizenship into Canada or to one Canadian parent.

My point would be moot if Canada does in fact have a law forbidding children in Canada from being adopted overseas to non-Canadian foreign parents.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
After doing some research, because Canada is part of the Hague Convention on Adoption since 1993, I believe Canada cannot let a Canadian child leave Canada for adoption oversea all in the interests of what is best for the child. Which is probably why there are no links found regarding Canadian children being adopted overseas. The Hague Convention pretty much prevent Canada from allowing it.

So my point of Canadian child losing citizenship upon international adoption is moot but it does apply to children adopted overseas before Canada signed the Hague Convention.

kumbu.bumbu

Jan 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2014
screech339 said:
After doing some research, because Canada is part of the Hague Convention on Adoption since 1993, I believe Canada cannot let a Canadian child leave Canada for adoption oversea all in the interests of what is best for the child. Which is probably why there are no links found regarding Canadian children being adopted overseas. The Hague Convention pretty much prevent Canada from allowing it.

So my point of Canadian child losing citizenship upon international adoption is moot but it does apply to children adopted overseas before Canada signed the Hague Convention.
So according to you (assume) Canadian born child adopted before Hague Convention or no Hague Convention. The child at the age of 18 comes and applies for his/her right as citizen by birth. Canada would say no no no. You were adopted by foreign parents. You lost your birth right. Your citizenship was renounced automatically by someone else.

Good to know.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
kumbu.bumbu said:
So according to you (assume) Canadian born child adopted before Hague Convention or no Hague Convention. The child at the age of 18 comes and applies for his/her right as citizen by birth. Canada would say no no no. You were adopted by foreign parents. You lost your birth right. Your citizenship was renounced automatically by someone else.

Good to know.
Well not renounced automatically by someone else. That sounded like the parents on purposely renounced the child's citizenship on child behalf. It is more like your citizenship was void by rules of international adoption procedures at the time.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I recall a question (not sure what forum it was on...possibly the "Lost Canadian" one) from a man who had been born in Canada and adopted by U.S. citizens and given a new name. He was questioning how he would go about asserting his Canadian citizenship. The consensus there was that he would be a Canadian citizen by birth, but, since there was no link between his birth name and his current name, he would need to apply to CIC for a citizenship certificate in his current name. No one there, including me, considered that being adopted would lead to a loss of Canadian citizenship. If we can't find anything online stating that it does, it's probably because it doesn't.

Natan

May 22, 2015
If the child is born in Canada he/she will be Canadian always. With a Canadian birth certificate child can apply at any time for Canadian passport (unless citizenship is renounced after he/she is 18).
Being born in Canada, or to Canadian parents, is no guarantee of Canadian citizenship, as some thousands of Lost Canadians can attest.

Last edited:

Natan

May 22, 2015
Well not renounced automatically by someone else. That sounded like the parents on purposely renounced the child's citizenship on child behalf. It is more like your citizenship was void by rules of international adoption procedures at the time.
"International adoption procedures" is not a legally recognized construct. Besides, only relevant Canadian legislation can affect Canadian citizenship.

Last edited:

Natan

May 22, 2015
Please cite the section(s) of the Hague Convention that you are referencing.

Last edited:

Natan

May 22, 2015
The full text of the Hague's "Convention of 29 May 1993 on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption" is at https://www.hcch.net/en/instruments/conventions/full-text/?cid=69.

The Convention outlines a general procedural framework for international adoptions that promotes the welfare of the child and reciprocal recognition of adoptions.

The Convention neither encourages nor discourages international adoption. It does not provide adoption procedures, but encourages nations to enact regulations that conform to the Convention's suggested framework, leaving the formulation of adoption procedures to each individual nation.

The Convention does not address citizenship.

Last edited:

day2day

Jun 7, 2017
I'm wondering one with the Canadian citizenship is not taxed on worldwide income regardless of where they live? In other worlds if you have Canadian citizenship but move permanently to another country you do not need to pay tax to Canada on the income that you make in another country?

Thanks

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm wondering one with the Canadian citizenship is not taxed on worldwide income regardless of where they live? In other worlds if you have Canadian citizenship but move permanently to another country you do not need to pay tax to Canada on the income that you make in another country?

Thanks
Only two countries base taxation on citizenship: the United States and Eritrea.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Being born in Canada, or to Canadian parents, is no guarantee of Canadian citizenship, as some thousands of Lost Canadians can attest.
The bulk of the Lost Canadians were given Canadian citizenship by the 2009 and 2015 changes to the Citizenship Act. All that remain are the new Lost Canadians...those created by the limitation on citizenship by descent to the first generation born abroad.