+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can a diploma really help in getting job in canada

kiran_6sb

Star Member
Nov 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
does a diploma in computer networking help us to get a job in canada or is it better to shift to masters ??pls reply

amarecharla

Oct 25, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-02-2015
Doing a course does not guarentee a job anywhere in the world.....it depends on the person also.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
A masters is far better.

royalsting

Sep 14, 2011
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Pending
IELTS Request
8 Bands
Interview........
Nope!
kiran_6sb said:
which course did u apply for royalsting?
I'm already a Masters so going for PG Certificate now. Job prospects are narrower for me but I have different plans. You should apply to a reputed university and related course to improve your chances of visa.

Have you appeared for IELTS? And whats your academic background?

kiran_6sb

Star Member
Nov 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i already got visa on a diploma bro...but everyone is sayn that u cant get a job with a diploma..i completed my bachelors defree is computer science)..

royalsting

Sep 14, 2011
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Pending
IELTS Request
8 Bands
Interview........
Nope!
kiran_6sb said:
i already got visa on a diploma bro...but everyone is sayn that u cant get a job with a diploma..i completed my bachelors defree is computer science)..
It depends upon skill level or additional skills as well. University graduates wont face problem in getting job but Diploma/Certificate holder might.

Haley

Apr 25, 2011
I don't think that it is fair to say that when you have a diploma you will have difficulty in finding a job compared to a university student. It is not good to discourage people like that who want to have a try at doing a diploma when there is not enough facts to support that. Yes, it is good to have a degree and everyone should aim for that. Canadian experience is what counts as well as good training. I see people who have masters and other degrees and find it very hard to get a job. Many employers prefer to hire someone with a diploma than a masters because they can't afford to pay a person with a masters degree and if you have one sometimes they don't want to hire you because of auditing purposes and the possibility of being sued for underpayment and some kinda crap. The first job I applied for when I came to Canada was for a simple clerk position, and they did not give it to me because they said I was too qualified for the position. That's what they told me...it could have been something else...like, well you know what I mean but still. Competition is also high for high skilled jobs as well and I can guarantee that if one does not have Canadian experience and good interview skills it's gonna be hard to get. Sometimes it is better to start simple like a diploma. Get in, get experience and work your way up. That's my opinion, you don't have to agree but I think doing a diploma is just as good as doing a masters and just as good as getting a job too when you look at the pro and cons. Masters,University and diploma persons thumbs up, there are jobs here to suit everyone you just have to compete for it.

• Love
Reactions: Adeeb H

neeraj1985

Star Member
Sep 10, 2011
New Delhi
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
Band 8
Haley said:
I don't think that it is fair to say that when you have a diploma you will have difficulty in finding a job compared to a university student. It is not good to discourage people like that who want to have a try at doing a diploma when there is not enough facts to support that. Yes, it is good to have a degree and everyone should aim for that. Canadian experience is what counts as well as good training. I see people who have masters and other degrees and find it very hard to get a job. Many employers prefer to hire someone with a diploma than a masters because they can't afford to pay a person with a masters degree and if you have one sometimes they don't want to hire you because of auditing purposes and the possibility of being sued for underpayment and some kinda crap. The first job I applied for when I came to Canada was for a simple clerk position, and they did not give it to me because they said I was too qualified for the position. That's what they told me...it could have been something else...like, well you know what I mean but still. Competition is also high for high skilled jobs as well and I can guarantee that if one does not have Canadian experience and good interview skills it's gonna be hard to get. Sometimes it is better to start simple like a diploma. Get in, get experience and work your way up. That's my opinion, you don't have to agree but I think doing a diploma is just as good as doing a masters and just as good as getting a job too when you look at the pro and cons. Masters,University and diploma persons thumbs up, there are jobs here to suit everyone you just have to compete for it.
Thums UP ...blunt and to the point !!!

royalsting

Sep 14, 2011
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Pending
IELTS Request
8 Bands
Interview........
Nope!
Haley said:
I absolutely agree with you, but no where I or anyone is trying to discourage anyone for Diploma course, we're just promoting Masters for a healthy reason. The thing is not only in India or Canada but globally Masters degree holds much more value than Post graduate certificate/diploma. But as you said once the person grows in terms of experience taking entry on any level and rising obviously experience values more. But I will put the same point here again, why not go for Masters and go for a senior position directly then going for certificate>>lower level>>upper level. Believe it or not Masters > then Diploma/Certificate, even in terms of job. But it narrows down to experience, skill level or any special quality in a person when it comes to job as there will be many qualified people giving rise to tough competition but only some possessing the required quality or like you said the employer not willing to hire due to personal benefit and risk involved. So you are correct.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Haley said:

Hi,

I quote;

"Canadian experience is what counts as well as good training."

I fully agree with this particular sentence. You need a real time ‘Canadian Work Experience’, and it does not matter if it’s Master graduate/Diploma holder. For an International graduate, Skill + Canadian work experience is the most important thing.

Kirtan1

Star Member
Oct 6, 2011
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
6.5 Bands
Med's Done....
21, Oct , 2011
Interview........
Not Applicable , SPP
VISA ISSUED...
16.Nov. 2011
LANDED..........
20, Dec, 2011
enfield said:
Hi,

I quote;

"Canadian experience is what counts as well as good training."

I fully agree with this particular sentence. You need a real time ‘Canadian Work Experience', and it does not matter if it's Master graduate/Diploma holder. For an International graduate, Skill + Canadian work experience is the most important thing.
+1 for the answer.

tonysilas

Jun 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kirtan1 said:
+1 for the answer.
OK Canada experience is must! Then how can a Indian who just graduated from MBA from Canada gets a job? And experience of how many months at least?