+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can A Deferral Affect Your Chances of PGWP?

StealthyCelery

Feb 24, 2020
If you're an international student and you apply for a deferral for any exam, can it affect your chances of applying for a PGWP?

The reason I ask is because dropping a course (which will temporarily make you lose your full time student status) will spoil your chances of applying for PGWP. So does a deferral have an effect like that? Will it be seen as a problem?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So applying for a deferral temporarily opts you out of the course? Wasn't it just supposed to act like an extension for deadlines based on emergencies?
Deferral is usually for an exam not the course. If you get sick and have a medical note and we’re unable to attend the exam you are usually told to complete another exam at a later date. Withdraw would be stopping the course without penalty by a certain date. You would need to make sure you remained full-time.

Reactions: StealthyCelery

adanikolas

Apr 11, 2023
Deferral is usually for an exam not the course. If you get sick and have a medical note and we’re unable to attend the exam you are usually told to complete another exam at a later date. Withdraw would be stopping the course without penalty by a certain date. You would need to make sure you remained full-time.
Hello I had an exam deferred from my last semester and so I wasn't register but had to wait 4months to complete my exam for graduation. So I wasn't registered that time will it cause a pgwp refusal?