+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can’t gain enough Canadian working hours due to COVID

Raj_Jain

Star Member
Jul 27, 2018
Hi! I live in Toronto on a post graduate work permit which expires in September 1st week, 2020.

I have an EE profile submitted with a CRS of 422, and eligibility to FSWP. To be eligible for CEC i still need 410 out of 1560 hours. Due to COVID i feel I can’t achieve that anymore. I have 152hours on a contractual job which i have not included yet.

My employer (a registered charitable organisation) is willing to give me a job offer letter. I also have my profile submitted to two PNPs as well.

1. Should i wait and watch for the score to drop and then submit PR application with job offer letter without LMIA?

2. Should I apply for a work permit extension in view of both COVID 19 as well as uncertainity over getting an ITA before September? And then claim Canadian experience by end of the year?

3. Should I get an LMIA done?

4. Or do none of the above and you have a better advice for me.

Please and thank you! Stay safe.

Reactions: Pgill2609

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi! I live in Toronto on a post graduate work permit which expires in September 1st week, 2020.

I have an EE profile submitted with a CRS of 422, and eligibility to FSWP. To be eligible for CEC i still need 410 out of 1560 hours. Due to COVID i feel I can’t achieve that anymore. I have 152hours on a contractual job which i have not included yet.

My employer (a registered charitable organisation) is willing to give me a job offer letter. I also have my profile submitted to two PNPs as well.

1. Should i wait and watch for the score to drop and then submit PR application with job offer letter without LMIA?

2. Should I apply for a work permit extension in view of both COVID 19 as well as uncertainity over getting an ITA before September? And then claim Canadian experience by end of the year?

1. Don't expect the score to drop to 422. A job offer won't count for anything without an LMIA.

2. You don't qualify for an extension.

3. If your employer is willing to apply, sure.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......

There is really nothing you can do besides completing the 1560h work experience in Canada over a period of at least 52 weeks. Unless you can achieve this you will not be eligible to apply under CEC.

An alternative you may have is find a different job on the mean time, because the 1 year work experience does not have to be with a single employer nor the same NOC.

Many people working in Canada on a PGWP are having issues meeting the 1560h due to the pandemic, however IRCC has not modified the CEC criteria so there is really nothing you can do besides what I already mentioned.

You could get a job offer with a LMIA, but you'll need to convince your employer to go into this process.

Sorry, but your options are limited.

Last edited:

Raj_Jain

Star Member
Jul 27, 2018
There is really nothing you can do besides completing the 1560h work experience in Canada over a period of at least 52 weeks. Unless you can achieve this you will not be eligible to apply under CEC.

An alternative you may have is find a different job on the mean time, because the 1 year work experience does not have to be with a single employer in the same NOC.

An alternative you may have is find a different job on the mean time, because the 1 year work experience does not have to be with a single employer in the same NOC.

Many people working in Canada on a PGWP are having issues meeting the 1560h due to the pandemic, however IRCC has not modified the CEC criteria so there is really nothing you can do besides what I already mentioned.

You could get a job offer with a LMIA, but you'll need to convince your employer to go into this process.

Sorry, but your options are limited.

Thank you. The option for finding an additional job could be an option I could look into. Also, my employer himself offered to give me an employment letter. Maybe he doesn't yet know how complicated it is to get an LMIA. I could clarify things to him. But thank you anyway, so far your response seems the most sensible, sensitive and helpful to me.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you. The option for finding an additional job could be an option I could look into. Also, my employer himself offered to give me an employment letter. Maybe he doesn't yet know how complicated it is to get an LMIA. I could clarify things to him. But thank you anyway, so far your response seems the most sensible, sensitive and helpful to me.
Unfortunately the employment letter isn't at all helpful. Your employer would need to get an approved LMIA to give you additional points. This is generally a 4-6 month process and pretty involved. Details here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/median-wage/high/requirements.html

Reactions: Wolfpmd3

Pgill2609

Sep 7, 2019

What is your noc and organisation