+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

California -> Ontario drivers license

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
I have a valid California D/L. I'll be importing my car very soon and wanted to get it registered and heard that we need a Canadian D/L and insurance before that can be done. California does provide a informal drivers abstract but it does not have a lot of information. I do have my old and new license and more than 2 years on my current license. I don't think I will get a formal drivers abstract in time. Will ServiceOntario ask for drivers abstract or (hopefully) they have an internal system to look it up?

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
I have a valid California D/L. I'll be importing my car very soon and wanted to get it registered and heard that we need a Canadian D/L and insurance before that can be done. California does provide a informal drivers abstract but it does not have a lot of information. I do have my old and new license and more than 2 years on my current license. I don't think I will get a formal drivers abstract in time. Will ServiceOntario ask for drivers abstract or (hopefully) they have an internal system to look it up?
They ask for the drivers abstract while exchanging the license. They look for the original issue date which the abstract has.
I walked in DMV for got one without any appointment over the counter for 5 USD.

If you get one, also get a copy of it for auto insurance over here.

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
They ask for the drivers abstract while exchanging the license. They look for the original issue date which the abstract has.
I walked in DMV for got one without any appointment over the counter for 5 USD.

If you get one, also get a copy of it for auto insurance over here.
Thanks for your reply. It has to be the state that issued the license where you can walk into right? I'm not in California now. Should have thought about this before.

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
Thanks for your reply. It has to be the state that issued the license where you can walk into right? I'm not in California now. Should have thought about this before.
Okay, no idea about that. I was still in California back then.