+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Calgary - Sharing landing experience

muhdcand

Aug 17, 2019
Hi folks ...
I found this thread very interesting and informative. I am planning to make my soft landing in Calgary around next year. I just have a few questions;

1. If I am making a soft landing, how should I declare my belongings and funds? There are things and funds I am planning to bring later on. Should I declare at the first landing or I can do so later on?
2. Any idea whats the mean processing time for the PR card? I checked on IRCC website, its showing 26 days, is it really so? Since I will get back to my home country, is there any way to get the PR card sooner?
3. Can I give mailing address of my relative in Toronto while landing in Calgary Alberta?

Thanks and appreciate your support.
Regards,

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi folks ...
I found this thread very interesting and informative. I am planning to make my soft landing in Calgary around next year. I just have a few questions;

1. If I am making a soft landing, how should I declare my belongings and funds? There are things and funds I am planning to bring later on. Should I declare at the first landing or I can do so later on?
2. Any idea whats the mean processing time for the PR card? I checked on IRCC website, its showing 26 days, is it really so? Since I will get back to my home country, is there any way to get the PR card sooner?
3. Can I give mailing address of my relative in Toronto while landing in Calgary Alberta?

Thanks and appreciate your support.
Regards,
1) You don't declare them at soft landing
2) There are no way to request to receive sooner.
3) Yes

Reactions: muhdcand

PonJoub

Star Member
Sep 3, 2016
Calgary
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
19-12-2016
Med's Done....
12-12-2016
Passport Req..
22-05-2017
Thank you so much!
Hi,
As per your background, indeed Toronto and to an extent, Vancouver would be the best job search markets for you guys (even though the cost of living is higher).
It's better to have a job in other provinces with higher cost of living & adjust than not having a job in Alberta and face a "troublesome" immigration ...
Economically speaking, Alberta is still not in a good shape compared to other provinces (5 years after the downturn impacted the province, many companies keep firing people (many major O&G companies recently fired hundreds of their employees...).
I've met several immigrant guys with an excellent career/background in the past (in Alberta or in their origin country) becoming taxi/uber drivers in Alberta ...
I am not sure how is your related job industries in Alberta but if you haven't heard anything from the prospection you did => you have your answers ...

My advice is ... don't come to Alberta unless you already have good connections in Alberta (job offer, family, good friends, etc ...).
Toronto area and Vancouver area seem to be looking for a lot of profiles like yours so I would definitely consider that rather than focusing on Alberta.

Good luck

PonJoub

Star Member
Sep 3, 2016
Calgary
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
19-12-2016
Med's Done....
12-12-2016
Passport Req..
22-05-2017
Hi,

for your point 2, not sure what are the new timelines advised by CIC but we received our PR cards like about 4 months after landing.

Good luck.

Reactions: muhdcand

PonJoub

Star Member
Sep 3, 2016
Calgary
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
19-12-2016
Med's Done....
12-12-2016
Passport Req..
22-05-2017
Thank you PonJoub so much for sharing your experience. We are planning to settle in Calgary next year and the biggest concerns are job opportunities. I’m a marketing data analyst and my husband is a software developer. We had several years of US working experience and masters degree. So will this experience give us some advantages on job hunting?

All the best to you and your families!
<<<QUOTE
Hi,
As per your background, indeed Toronto and to an extent, Vancouver would be the best job search markets for you guys (even though the cost of living is higher).
It's better to have a job in other provinces with higher cost of living & adjust than not having a job in Alberta and face a "troublesome" immigration ...
Economically speaking, Alberta is still not in a good shape compared to other provinces (5 years after the downturn impacted the province, many companies keep firing people (many major O&G companies recently fired hundreds of their employees...).
I've met several immigrant guys with an excellent career/background in the past (in Alberta or in their origin country) becoming taxi/uber drivers in Alberta ...
I am not sure how is your related job industries in Alberta but if you haven't heard anything from the prospection you did => you have your answers ...

My advice is ... don't come to Alberta unless you already have good connections in Alberta (job offer, family, good friends, etc ...).
Toronto area and Vancouver area seem to be looking for a lot of profiles like yours so I would definitely consider that rather than focusing on Alberta.

Good luck

UNQUOTE>>>

Hi GetLucky8888,

I would like to come back on my reply I sent you few days ago (as per above).
The last 2 days, I have seen few ads in Calgary saying that tech companies are looking for many candidates. May be worth for you to have a look.

Good luck.

GetLucky8888

Star Member
Jan 12, 2019
<<<QUOTE
Hi,

Good luck

UNQUOTE>>>

Hi GetLucky8888,

I would like to come back on my reply I sent you few days ago (as per above).
The last 2 days, I have seen few ads in Calgary saying that tech companies are looking for many candidates. May be worth for you to have a look.

Good luck.
Thank you so much!
We did our landing in Calgary a couple of days ago, and met lots of friendly people there. They said something quite similar to your opinion. So far we like the city, and we'll try our best to find jobs. Thank you again!!!

Good Luck!

Reactions: PonJoub and Miumiu

Miumiu

Aug 12, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Thank you so much!
We did our landing in Calgary a couple of days ago, and met lots of friendly people there. They said something quite similar to your opinion. So far we like the city, and we'll try our best to find jobs. Thank you again!!!

Good Luck!
Welcome to Calgary! :) I've lived here for three years. Beautiful city, great place to live! Please check out the link in my signature: free informative short vides for newcomers to Alberta. :) Enjoy! Feel free to ask any questions about life in Calgary. I will try my best to anwer.

GetLucky8888

Star Member
Jan 12, 2019
Welcome to Calgary! :) I've lived here for three years. Beautiful city, great place to live! Please check out the link in my signature: free informative short vides for newcomers to Alberta. :) Enjoy! Feel free to ask any questions about life in Calgary. I will try my best to anwer.
Thank you so much!

PonJoub

Star Member
Sep 3, 2016
Calgary
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
19-12-2016
Med's Done....
12-12-2016
Passport Req..
22-05-2017
Thank you so much!

Good Luck!
Good Luck in your new life !

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just a warning for others contemplating moving to Calgary. The economy is going to get tougher after the government cuts. Make sure you are doing research and make sure you don’t lock yourself into a lease unless you have a job.

PonJoub

Star Member
Sep 3, 2016
Calgary
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
19-12-2016
Med's Done....
12-12-2016
Passport Req..
22-05-2017
Just a warning for others contemplating moving to Calgary. The economy is going to get tougher after the government cuts. Make sure you are doing research and make sure you don’t lock yourself into a lease unless you have a job.
agreed with canuck78. Economy in Alberta does not look promising at all in the coming years ...

Ualberta

Star Member
Apr 27, 2016
Hi, I with my wife would also want to land at the closed border to Edmonton. Would you suggest which is the nearest and convenient from Edmonton? I do not have a car. All I have is going by redarrow bus to Lethbridge and from there cab to the border.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I with my wife would also want to land at the closed border to Edmonton. Would you suggest which is the nearest and convenient from Edmonton? I do not have a car. All I have is going by redarrow bus to Lethbridge and from there cab to the border.

How about fly to Vancouver, then take a bus to the border near Point Roberts or Peach Arch and walk to the border?