Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-11-2014
Hi there,
Long time havent been active,we have been 2months in Calgary finally
Guys,i need your opinion about how to find a job
The part time jobs are more than the full time jobs
My husband has started to work at a matket as a courtesy clerk,they give him 13,5hours per week,they make same with all employees!!!!as u can understand this money isnt enough!
His english is basic thats why its a little difficult for now to find something better
But still wonder,do u have any idea what kind of job he could make till he improves his english??

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
According to lots of people in this forum its very easy to get a job in Canada. You are not trying hard enough. There are many jobs and life is excellent here. $13.5 is a lot of money you should be happy with that. There are many people who are making far less.

ninakap30

Apr 4, 2014
istanbul
Category........
Visa Office......
ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
20-8-2014
Med's Done....
12-6-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-11-2014
newtone said:
According to lots of people in this forum its very easy to get a job in Canada. You are not trying hard enough. There are many jobs and life is excellent here. $13.5 is a lot of money you should be happy with that. There are many people who are making far less.
I didnt say 13,5 cad per hour,i said they give him 13,5hours every week to work!!!!!his salary is 10 cad per hour...

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry to hear, hopefully non-Canadian immigrants who think jobs are easy to get will be able to help you out. Lets wait and hear from them

mrcanada

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
Have you tried any placement agencies? In Vancouver, there is a place that helps out immigrants with job search, maybe Calgary has something similar.

AlexRox

Star Member
Nov 29, 2013
mrcanada said:
Have you tried any placement agencies? In Vancouver, there is a place that helps out immigrants with job search, maybe Calgary has something similar.
You may pay a visit to the Immigrant Services at 7the Ave 8th street SW and get some guidance.
However EI claims is up by 30% in Alberta (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-employment-insurance-claims-rise-almost-30-1.3045850), that means a lot of people are looking for jobs. So it is a tough time here, especially for who are new here.

ninakap30

Apr 4, 2014
istanbul
Category........
Visa Office......
ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
20-8-2014
Med's Done....
12-6-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-11-2014
To be honest no we havent been yet to the immigrant office but i have contacted them and they answered me there are programmes to help him,as a mentorship or workshops,we will visit them next week.
I had the impression it would be diffocult to find job,he found but who can live with 550cad per month?i wonder is this 13,5hours per week a legal part time?i thought it should be at least 20
I wanted to say:it wouldnt be difficult

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ninakap30 said:
To be honest no we havent been yet to the immigrant office but i have contacted them and they answered me there are programmes to help him,as a mentorship or workshops,we will visit them next week.
I had the impression it would be diffocult to find job,he found but who can live with 550cad per month?i wonder is this 13,5hours per week a legal part time?i thought it should be at least 20
I wanted to say:it wouldnt be difficult
There are free English classes for new immigrants:
http://immigrantservicescalgary.ca/sites/default/files/Language%20Instruction%20for%20Newcomers%20to%20Canada.pdf

There are no legal minimum hours for part-time/casual jobs. Many Canadians (not just immigrants) work more than one P-T job to make ends meet; my Canadian daughter currently works 2, averaging 30-40 hours/week.

Evening/night shift work is sometimes slightly better paid, and easier to get as many people don't want to work unsociable hours, also food services have high staff turnover and variable P-T shifts available. Warehouse, factory jobs ...

I second the recommendation to go to immigrant services as soon as possible, also, depending on your nationality/origins, there are many associations which offer networking opportunities and services to help.

ninakap30

Apr 4, 2014
istanbul
Category........
Visa Office......
ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
20-8-2014
Med's Done....
12-6-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-11-2014
Thank u all so much fr ur replies,second job...the problem for us is that we dont have a driving licence yet and we cant move easily,also the schedules are a problem for us,we work at a market and we never know we will start at 8finish at 6 snd later we can have extra job,this makes us problrm
Anyway we have just started hope some months later everything will be better

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
ninakap30 said:
Thank u all so much fr ur replies,second job...the problem for us is that we dont have a driving licence yet and we cant move easily,also the schedules are a problem for us,we work at a market and we never know we will start at 8finish at 6 snd later we can have extra job,this makes us problrm
'
Yeah dont worry every thing will be better...cuz after sometime he will be having a work experience and this will help in securing a good job. English is not the main factor which is the problem..it is the work experience. so cheers and ask him to keep on looking for a job, he will eventually get a good job.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
ninakap30 said:
English is a basic requirement, it cannot be ruled it out, relying on experience alone is not enough. He has to work on improving his English - surely that will take sometime but its a necessity that should not be avoided.

I agree with other posts that getting advice from immigrant serving organizations is the best way to start. He needs to have a short and long-term plan

here's what i would do if i was in his situation:

1. Research on the nearby immigrant serving organizations and look for the best ones.. i don't know about calgary - but here in toronto there's one in every major street. Now not all of them are helpful - some have connections to employers and can really help in getting a job, or a placement in a company. While others might only offer general advice - which maybe useful too for a newcomer ofcourse, but why not benefit from the best ones out there.
2. The faster he can improve his english, the higher are his chances in improving his employment situation. He should get his language assessed, and join a program (evening classes can be found as well, if he works in the morning). Here in ontario there are colleges that offer free language courses (for clb level 6 and above), i would assume the same is available in alberta. College language courses are more focused than the general LINC programs.
3. Attend job fairs they can be of good help in finding a survival job (those are general links, you might be able to find better ones):
http://www.careerfaircanada.ca/where-calgary/
https://www.newcomerscanada.ca/events/
http://cnrl-careers.com/events/index.html
4. Search for the bridging programs that are available in his professional field, as well as co-op placements, internships..etc , that could be a bit of a long term plan for him as his priorities would now be first secure a full time survival job and in parallel work on improving his language skills
5. Network, network, network