Star Member
Sep 23, 2014
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Need to know which area is good to settle in Calgary like near to city center.. I am planning to land in mid of October.
Kindly reply..

AD

lieudefroid said:
Hi all.. I'm currently in Calgary, a recent immigrant and by God's grace landed a great job!

I would like to tell everyone to keep their spirits up and do what is best for your profile. Yeah, oil industry is not doing good but there are opportunities. If you have questions on Calgary I can be of help. Please shoot your questions in this thread.. preferable create one post with multiple questions.

zenghi

Oct 29, 2013
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-07-2013
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
-
AOR Received.
-
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
-
Med's Request
-05-01-2015
Med's Done....
-10-01-2015
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
-
VISA ISSUED...
-
LANDED..........
-
Dear friends,

I am also moving to calgary mid-october.
Could you guys suggest how I can search for accommodation there in calgary. Long-term accommodation is my priority however i am also open to short term accommodation as a last resort. We are a family of 4 (me, my wife and two toddlers).
Your suggestion will be be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Zenghi

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zenghi said:
Dear friends,

Could you guys suggest how I can search for accommodation there in calgary. Long-term accommodation is my priority however i am also open to short term accommodation as a last resort. We are a family of 4 (me, my wife and two toddlers).

Best wishes,

Zenghi
Go to rentfaster.ca and you will see lots of rental listings.

khurramrizvi

Jun 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-12-2014
Doc's Request.
05 June 2015
Nomination.....
07 March 2015 (PER)
Med's Request
19 August 2015
Med's Done....
31 August 2015
Interview........
bye bye
Passport Req..
14 September 2015
VISA ISSUED...
22 September 2015
LANDED..........
Feb or March 2016
zenghi said:
Dear friends,

Best wishes,

Zenghi
It depends on your priorities. If you wish to live in Asians Indo-Pak Comunity NE is the option.
If you search for boardwalk is the largest company in Calgary regarding providing accommodation. For new immigrants, they ask for three months upfront rent and insurance. Enmax is electricity provider and they take $150 as security deposit refundable. Boardwalk is present in all over Alberta.
I am living in boardwalk community in SE. 1139 is the rent which includes parking, heating, water, cable, and the internet. Also if you have a reference the reference will get 300 dollars which our reference can give you back.
Another option is to go into the basement for 600 to 700 dollars. But whatever option you take, it when you see physically. Otherwise, you may regret. just do your homework, for now, do not commit or pay online.
Do not go for high rise building
Do not take building with long corridors
Avoid carpets, ask for laminated floorings
Must be close to bus stop or LRT
Must be close to Walmart or super store, rest are expensive.
Do not choose forest lawn or 17 ave. its high crime area.
Wish you all the best.

adnan2014

Star Member
Sep 23, 2014
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Bro, +1 for it
Very informative.
Can someone go to Calgary via Toronto ? I heard that if you do like this then your immigration will start in Toronto...
I want to go directly Calgary but ticket is quite expensive and stay is long at each airport.
Kindly reply.

AD

khurramrizvi said:
It depends on your priorities. If you wish to live in Asians Indo-Pak Comunity NE is the option.
If you search for boardwalk is the largest company in Calgary regarding providing accommodation. For new immigrants, they ask for three months upfront rent and insurance. Enmax is electricity provider and they take $150 as security deposit refundable. Boardwalk is present in all over Alberta.
I am living in boardwalk community in SE. 1139 is the rent which includes parking, heating, water, cable, and the internet. Also if you have a reference the reference will get 300 dollars which our reference can give you back.
Another option is to go into the basement for 600 to 700 dollars. But whatever option you take, it when you see physically. Otherwise, you may regret. just do your homework, for now, do not commit or pay online.
Wish you all the best.

zenghi

Oct 29, 2013
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-07-2013
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
-
AOR Received.
-
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
-
Med's Request
-05-01-2015
Med's Done....
-10-01-2015
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
-
VISA ISSUED...
-
LANDED..........
-
Go through toronto bro.. make sure that you give at least 4 hours for your next connection..

adnan2014 said:
Thanks Bro, +1 for it
Very informative.
Can someone go to Calgary via Toronto ? I heard that if you do like this then your immigration will start in Toronto...
I want to go directly Calgary but ticket is quite expensive and stay is long at each airport.
Kindly reply.

AD

adnan2014

Star Member
Sep 23, 2014
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Bro...

I actually want to land in Calgary due to Health Card (Started from day one)... Will Landing at Toronto create problem like this ??

AD

zenghi said:
Go through toronto bro.. make sure that you give at least 4 hours for your next connection..

khurramrizvi

Jun 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-12-2014
Doc's Request.
05 June 2015
Nomination.....
07 March 2015 (PER)
Med's Request
19 August 2015
Med's Done....
31 August 2015
Interview........
bye bye
Passport Req..
14 September 2015
VISA ISSUED...
22 September 2015
LANDED..........
Feb or March 2016
adnan2014 said:
Thanks Bro, +1 for it
Very informative.
Kindly reply.

AD
Depend from where you are flying. If you are flying from Pakistan Qatar is one option, Lahore to Doha, stay at Doha would be 2 hrs. Doha to london stay would be 3 hrs. and final British airways from London to Calgary.
OR
Etihad work with KLM you will have only 5-6 hrs stay at Amsterdam.

Sep 29, 2016
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-09-2016
AOR Received.
02-05-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
24-04-2017
Anyone managed to secure an engineering job in the oil and gas industry over in Alberta? Care to share your experience in your job hunt?

Things are grim all over the globe for those in the black gold business, but I'm hoping things will ramp up a little in the next 2 - 3 years.

zenghi

Oct 29, 2013
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-07-2013
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
-
AOR Received.
-
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
-
Med's Request
-05-01-2015
Med's Done....
-10-01-2015
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
-
VISA ISSUED...
-
LANDED..........
-
khurramrizvi said:
Wish you all the best.
cheers khurram and steaky +1

treasuredone

Feb 25, 2016
khurramrizvi said:
Wish you all the best.
Hello thanks for the information. Please I'm just curious, why the advice against high rise buildings? Can anyone shed more light on this?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
treasuredone said:
Hello thanks for the information. Please I'm just curious, why the advice against high rise buildings? Can anyone shed more light on this?
Probably because there are no Walmart or Superstore near highrise buildings.

However, in my opinion, in places like East Village near Chinatown which has some high rise residential buildings, there are some small ethnic small shops which one might find cheap grocery prices.

khurramrizvi

Jun 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-12-2014
Doc's Request.
05 June 2015
Nomination.....
07 March 2015 (PER)
Med's Request
19 August 2015
Med's Done....
31 August 2015
Interview........
bye bye
Passport Req..
14 September 2015
VISA ISSUED...
22 September 2015
LANDED..........
Feb or March 2016
treasuredone said:
In high rise buildings heating is through air, So if pets are in your building you will have the most stinky smell all the time or you might jump from window.
Secondly in highrise buildings if flush choked you will be in deep shit.
People normally do bar bQ in balconies and again you will die with the stinky smell of pork bar bQ.
where as in open places you and low rise buildings ventilation is much more effective and less issues, because there were few families living in that building.
https://www.bwalk.com/en-CA/Rent/Details/Alberta/Calgary/Radisson-Village-III/
This is the area where I live.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
khurramrizvi said:
In high rise buildings heating is through air, So if pets are in your building you will have the most stinky smell all the time or you might jump from window.
Secondly in highrise buildings if flush choked you will be in deep *censored word*.
People normally do bar bQ in balconies and again you will die with the stinky smell of pork bar bQ.
where as in open places you and low rise buildings ventilation is much more effective and less issues, because there were few families living in that building.
https://www.bwalk.com/en-CA/Rent/Details/Alberta/Calgary/Radisson-Village-III/
This is the area where I live.
Isn't that the same with low rises or bungalows? People bbq in decks and patios. The effectiveness of ventilation is similar as in high rise buildings.

Heating in some low rises and bungalows are also through air.

khurramrizvi

Jun 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-12-2014
Doc's Request.
05 June 2015
Nomination.....
07 March 2015 (PER)
Med's Request
19 August 2015
Med's Done....
31 August 2015
Interview........
bye bye
Passport Req..
14 September 2015
VISA ISSUED...
22 September 2015
LANDED..........
Feb or March 2016
steaky said:
Isn't that the same with low rises or bungalows? People bbq in decks and patios. The effectiveness of ventilation is similar as in high rise buildings.

Heating in some low rises and bungalows are also through air.
You are right but the point is in high rise building number of people are more as compared to low rise. low rise buildings are usualy three story and four condos on each floor. Where I live in my building only one condo has pet. so sometimes its stinky. there are six muslim families so bar bQ once in a bluemoon. I mean to say I shared what I observe and feel. I don't want to build arguments or debate on that. One must do homework because moving is not easy especially when you are a new immigrant. you need to setlle to settle your life here. You have o go out and your partner must be at ease So please do lot of homework and calculations before taking any decision.