+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Calgary Airport TRP attempt -- results inside :).

Blackvoid

Apr 29, 2020
Hey all! Well, I bit the bullet and decided to randomly try to enter Canada over this weekend. The results weren't what we were hoping for, but we sure did learn a lot about everything.

Preface: I am considered criminally inadmissible in Canada. I applied for a TRP and the consulate received my application last week. However, my fiance and I found out that they're still taking TRP applications at the border (at least, at the airport), even during all of this covid-19 business. We found this out on Thursday (4/30/2020) and I was on an airplane to Canada (Calgary airport, to be specific) the next day (5/1/2020). I have a sex offense (solicitation charge) that I was convicted of Feb. 2016 and my parole ended Jan. 2017 (and yes, my fiance knows about everything). Anyway, part of what I packed was all of the paperwork for the TRP that I had -- FBI report, court disposition, character reference letters (I had 3), letter of invitation, etc.

Arriving in Canada: So, I finally landed in Calgary at about 1pm Friday afternoon. Made it through everything up to customs. Of course I was flagged at some point during my travels, and I was 100% expecting it. The border guards were all extremely polite, caring, understanding, etc. Anyway, I was dealing with 3 main border guards. It seemed they were going to permit me to enter, however I ended up being detained. After speaking with their supervisor (who again, was an AMAZING person), he explained that there were just too many factors against me at that time. He said that if just a single factor were different, they would've ultimately allowed me entry to be with my fiance at the time.

So, for instance, even though my travel was non-essential, if I didn't have a criminal record, they would've allowed me entry. And even with being criminally inadmissible, the supervisor said they would've allowed me entry if we were actual spouses (e.g. married, not just engaged). Ultimately, as I said, I was detained (and put in a holding cell) and was told the airport bought me a ticket back home for Sunday (5/4/2020). As you can imagine, I didn't want to spend all day Saturday in a holding cell, so once they gave me my cell phone back, I immediately purchased a plane ticket home -- I flew out Saturday.

Gathered Information: The best part about this entire situation is the fact they gave us a ton of useful information. The border guards confirmed that while I AM criminally inadmissible (currently), my charges are essentially summary charges -- e.g. my crime(s) in Canada would've only amounted to 1 year of jail time (so, the lowest form of crime in Canada). The border guards also told me about the Canadian consulate in Chicago, and advised I talk to them, though ultimately my TRP application would need to be sent into either the New York or Los Angeles consulate for processing. The supervisor also told me that once the consulate issues me a TRP, he said while border guards CAN still technically deny you entry, he said 99.9% of them wouldn't (he even recommended arriving through Calgary again once I'm issued my TRP, as he said they "wouldn't forget me").

Consequences: I ultimately wasn't punished (outside of being detained) for attempting to enter. They gave me the choice of withdrawing my application to enter Canada, and in exchange, it would be like I never attempted to enter (meaning I wasn't going to get banned from attempting to re-enter). They did say that being denied entry DOES show up on my passport/history/whatever it is, but the supervisor said that being denied entry isn't used against you in regards to applying for anything. He stated it's more-so just them "keeping record" of everything that happened. And finally, I asked about the odds of a TRP being approved, and he straight out told me he has only heard of a handful of TRPs be denied in his ~18 years of being on the job, and that's primarily because those individuals were convicted of extreme things (e.g. terrorism, murder, etc.). He said in general, the consulate processes TRP applications in 2-4 months, and that they can issue multiple-entry TRPs and that a TRP can be good for up to 3 years. He also stated that once my approval comes in, I can continually renew my TRP while in Canada up until I'm able to go through the criminal rehabilitation process.

Conclusion: The border guards were all amazing and knowing they would've let me enter had we been legitimately married does give me hope. So, once the border opens (currently planned for May 20/21, though it'll probably get pushed back because of covid-19), my fiance will be coming to the states so that we could get officially married. By the time that happens, I should only be 1-2 months away from receiving my approved TRP.

That's all! Just wanted to share my experience(s). I hope this helps someone out there.

Blackvoid

Apr 29, 2020
Really nice of you to share this. Too many people clamor here for help but never give an update as to results. Good luck and keep safe.
Of course! I don't want to risk cluttering the board with my non-sense, but I've noticed there's an abundance of people that come here asking for help, and then disappear the instant their situation is handled. I'll be making another post about my TRP process in its entirety once I received my approved TRP.

Blackvoid

Apr 29, 2020
Hello everyone,

I have gotten a few update requests via PM and figured I'd post once more before moving on.

My wife and I separated 2020 January after finding out I'd have to pay 10k for a lawyer and we'd have to spend another 6-9 months fighting the case. I didn't trust my wife enough to spend the money, and after countless other issues - including infidelity - we decided to separate.

I was able to get into Canada a handful of times shortly after on business-related stuff. If anyone is attempting to enter Canada with any type of record, I recommend they get a Canadian attorney to assist them. The attorney will be expensive, but it's almost the only way to (nearly) guarantee entry, and your application(s) will probably be processed a bit faster, too, while having representation.

We found out later that my conviction(s) are serious in Canada - far more serious than we were lead to believe by the border guards - so my odds of being cleared for free entry is next to 0 without being worth millions, and/or completing the criminal rehabilitation process.

I cannot start the criminal rehabilitation process until 5 years AFTER my registration has ended, thus I cannot start the process until 2032. From there, the criminal rehabilitation process takes 6-18 months (depending on the nature of the crime). I will be 42 years old by the time I START the criminal rehabilitation process.

For those of you that are curious, we tried everything possible to the extent of I personally got to speak with Trudeau about this (who told me they don't get involved in immigration matters), and I have a signed letter from him. We spoke to nearly every channel we could.

Final thought: Don't bother trying unless one or more of the following apply to you:

Your crime is considered "not serious" (some misdemeanors are "serious" in Canada, so don't assume)
* It has been 10-15+ years since you were convicted, and you've remained out of trouble since
* You're rich (minimum 5m+ provable net worth)
* You lived, stayed, etc. with someone or by yourself in Canada, for an extended period of time, at some point
* You have a LONG, trackable relationship with/to someone in Canada
* Can be abundantly valuable to society (think: you're 10 years old with a PhD)

As I said, the easiest, quickest, and most efficient way of going about this is simply hiring a lawyer.

Good luck everyone! Cheers.

P.S. See yah again in ~10 years, Canada! I'll be looking to buy real estate next time ;-).